Bow hunting

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Any true bowhunters on board, using a recurve or longbow? Don't want to start anything guys, been shooting with you guys for years now just a little survey.

Daryle
  2. Bluegill kid I may be young but I can catch fish

Lacenter,Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I used to be into it big time
    I am actually thinking of selling my red wing hunter recurve which is a 50 pound test if anyone is interested.
    AND I have a fred bear long bow 35 pound pull that was made back in 1953
    But that is my collectable
  3. Charlie Riddle New Member

North Kitsap County, WA.
    Trolling for a fire fight??? :eek: ??

Could not let this pass…………..

Yep I am a 'true' bowhunter, but I am not defined by what I shoot, but by the ethics and method I choose to hunt.

Long bow, recurve or compound don't make one a 'true bowhunter'. If one believes it does, then they need to get in the woods with a good hunter that chooses a bow to take game with and learn about the meaning of ‘bowhunter’.

I speak from experience. I have been shooting/hunting with the bow for almost 30 years. I have been fairly successful. Do real good on deer (one in the WA State Bowhunting Records) and fair on elk. I have spent many hours shooting, and shooting with recurve and compound. I am acutely aware of the limitations of each style. Have shot as a pro and set state records as an armature. 3D, NFFA or NAA shooting. Great shooting, great fun.

r/ Charlie
    :beer2:
  4. RonnyBadd Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    I do still hunt with my recurve but I am leaning to the compound for this season. My shoulder is messed up after a freak “working on the car one Sunday” accident. It’s still a little tender when shooting the recurve but I don’t notice it with the compound. I think it’s in the best interest of the deer that I shoot the compound this year.
  5. Greg Gilliland Member

Benton City, Wa, USA.
    I have both, I have hunted with both. I am going to hunt with the compound again. I am looking to possibly trade the recurve for a newer compound. Not aure yet.

Greg
  6. Flyn'dutchman Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Tis the time to rally everyone together, not divide. Bow hunting is bow hunting. Just like flyfishing is fly fishing whether you do it with bamboo or graphite, nymph or dry fly. There are already enough things in life that really need to be debated without bringing in simple passions.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  7. Dave Grimmer Member

Port Townsend, WA
    What weight Tippet do you guys use? :confused:
  8. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Didn't mean to start any debate here, just a general survey, started out 42 years ago with a recurve, tried the compound and uni-bow for a couple. Still a member of the WSAA. Just received my 25 year pin, should have been more but I let my membership lapse while I was in the service.

Daryle
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    What the hell has bow hunting have to do with flyfishing. I think that you need a NFR on the header.

Just some friendly advice. But if stuff like this keeps up this will turn into a catch all for all kinds of fishing and hunting junk.

Please lets stay with the header,WASHINGTON FLYFISHING.

Jim
  10. Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

WA
    NFR kids!

Didn't you read Chris' rules?
  11. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Well Jim has moved, As for SFR, Elkhair, Deerhair, Antelope hair. Harvested all with a bow. I use it all so I thought it would be somewhat fishing related but the naysayer Jim would have the last get go. LOL

Daryle
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    I'm not against hunting of any kind. But a SFR(some fishing related) or NFR(non fishing related) would of sent messages on what to do with thread.

On another note. Since I have moved to Montana,I have seen more game in one day than I did of all the years I live in Washington(60). The deer here roam in herds. You almost have to watch where you drive so you won't run into them. And now all the babies are out also.

Good luck on what ever you want to hunt for.

Jim
  13. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Funny, but when I read the title of the thread I fully expected to read about bowhunting. The title indicated it wasn't about fishing:)
  14. Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

WA

In light of recent discussions I'm going to start displaying a few straight forward rules. They will be added on to as needed.

Non Fishing Related posts are accepted on the main board. I'd appreciate it being realized that this is a fly fishing forum, so NFR threads / posts should be the exception. Please indicate NFR post with (NFR) before the title. It'll assist those only interested in FR topics to blow by them easily and helps with my efforts to remove them when they are a few months old and out of view. If individuals are found to only be posting up NFR threads, they will be shown the door so they can find a more applicable board to use somewhere else.

Chris Scoones

FH
  15. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    ok..no offense to anyone but gee whiz...the title says BOW HUNTING...so where's the surprise??
    hmmm, i wonder if there is any flyfishing talk in this bowhunting thread.
    i know there are rules...just joking around, but why does everyone get their panties in a wad??
  16. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    (NFR) Bow hunting

For some people "getting their panties in a wad" seems to be a full time job! I was SHOCKED that this thread wasn't about flyfishing. This site does have rules and they are easy to follow. FYI........ I have hunted with a bow since 80 and have 'dispatched' a few[that's a PC term lest I offend anyone!]. Was fortunate to have bagged #10 in the state Rocky Mt. Goat, when I was a MUCH younger man!
  17. farrerhaven New Member

Ukiah ,Ca
    I use a 55#longbow and I am working on building my son a 45# longbow right now.I am learning from the Bowyers Den.I live in Ca but bought land in Ione Wa,my wife and I are planning to retire there in about 4 years.:)
  18. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    To those who can't read the fine print:

Cast and Blast:

"General hunting topics as well as cleaning / preserving fur and feathers from game for fly tying, game preparation and cooking, fur / feather swaps?"

This is according to Scoones, you know, the guy that runs this place...:thumb: