Boy Scouts need gear...

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Dave Alberts, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

A couple of kids in my grandson's Boy Scout troop could use some help with camping gear---back packs, tents, sleeping bags, and so on. Doesn't need to be new, just serviceable. Shoot me a pm if you have anything you need to get out of your garage.

Thanks!

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

pm sent

3. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

I would really like to help these kids get ready for summer camp...

Back to the top for another try.

Thanks,
    Dave

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Dave I have a couple of backpacks. Nothing pristine but still serviceable. I also want to make another pass through my gear collection and see if I might have more that could be of use. How do I get them to you?

Steve Call likes this.
  5. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dave, let me know exactly what the kids need -- if backpacks, please try to provide some sizes (torso length if possible, otherwise estimate their height/age/weight).

I'm sure I can come up with a stack of gear to help you out. And I'm not far from Lakewood, so getting it to you will be easy.

Steve Call likes this.
  6. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

Ed & Dan--
    Many thanks!!

These kids are younger Scouts, about twelve years old, who tend to the smaller size. They need just about everything...back packs (external frames are fine), day packs, smaller tents, sleeping bags, youth rain gear, and so forth. As I said earlier, as long as the gear is serviceable, it will be fine and much appreciated.

Also, if you have, or know, kids who are outgrowing footgear and other outdoor clothing before it is worn out, please don't dump it. I remember when our son, now almost 40, was in Scouts, it seemed like he outgrew his boots every six weeks... When we found that one of the kids about 2 years his junior wasn't going to be able to go on an overnite because he too had outgrown his boots and family didn't have money for new... we were happy to keep him shod with our son's stuff for most of his scouting years... He ultimately earned his Eagle rank and joined the Navy after high school...!

As for hand off, when you figure out what you have, let me know and I will pick it up. We will be out of town next week with limited internet, but I'll get back to you as soon as possible when we return.

Thanks again!

Dave

Steve Call likes this.
  7. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Member

Home Page:
    My daughters Explorer Post years ago had an album of "letters to businesses" requesting financial help with trips. All of us businesses were recruited to take part. Every year or so I might receive a letter form some young scout requesting financial help in order to attend a national meeting or explorer conference. They had to write the letter and give it their personal spin. The post also did lots of fund raising projects and the money went into the "account" of everyone who participated.

It use to be my job to meet with the parents of the new scouts before their first summer camp. There are lots of inexpensive ways to outfit your new scout without spending a lot of money. (First Aid Kit for instance... just get a zip-loc bag and fill it with stuff found in most bathrooms) The young kids will out grow everything within a year or so. It's amazing what you can find at Savers, or Good Will.

All that being said... I'm recruiting for next years National Scout Jamboree. I tell the boys and parents that if a boy wants to go... do not let money be a deciding factor. We will find the funds if they want to attend.
    Remember there are lots of us out there who want to help... it's just that no one ever ask. Thanks for asking.

Steve Call and Dave Alberts like this.
  8. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

Stan, you are totally correct! Having spent some ten years working with Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts while our son was growing up, I am certain that the program makes a huge difference in young mens lives. It is especially important for those with absent fathers or dads who don't ascribe to the principles of scouting. With our grandson, now 12, just getting into the program...and without a dad in the family, it looks like Grandpa gets to play that role again.

Try as I might not to, it is difficult to not compare the scouting program of today to what it was thirty years ago. It is sad to see how the program has changed... The PC'ness we see in most other aspects of our society is also alive and well within BSA. The emphasis has moved from the boys and their scouting experience, to the "business" of scouting. Boy Scout camps that were rustic "back when" are now in sad repair, while district offices that were modest but functional then are now multi-million dollar properties on prime urban real estate.

As for the current thread, used gear not needed by the current owner is the emphasis. These kids arn't yet to the "50 miler" level yet, so the gear doesn't have to be top of the line. The objective is to get them outfitted for summer camp and well enough to hike 4-5 miles with serviceable gear that they can call their own. Like you said Stan, most of the money issues can be worked out...but in the current economy that too is more difficult. The expenses of scouting have increased like everything else...for example, base fees for a week at the local scout camp are now about $250... some merit badge fees while at camp are in the $20-$40 range... throw in a few bucks for slurpies and crafts durning the week and you're talking a weeks pay for a lot of families... a tough call.

Anyway, many thanks to those of you who have responded... I will make sure that what ever you donate gets to kids who need it and will use it.

Dave

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dave I'll see what I have. Just got rid of some old gear but may have sone stuff I'd donate some dutch oven demis if they needed it.

10. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

Jerry--
    The scoutmaster is a big DO cooker, so I'm sure anything along those lines would be put to good use. Let me know what is available and I'll pass it on.

Thanks for the interest!

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Dave I meant packs and camping gear. I never get rid of cast iron. ;)