Bozeman Montana help!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kirk Estlick, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Kirk Estlick

Kirk Estlick Active Member

So I am flying into Bozeman on October 10th and flying out October 17th. This is going to be 7 days of fishing bliss! The problem I am running into is this; there are so many pieces of water and I am at a loss at what to fish. So if you had 7 days in/around Bozeman what would you fish? How would you structure your trip? Any help or insights would be great! Thanks.

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    The Yellowstone and Madison is always a good bet and I would think about the Ruby as well. A trip into Yellowstone NP to fish the Madison and Firehole would be worth consideration. It really is a hell of a situation to be in such target rich area that deciding where to fish becomes a challenge... I LOVE MONTANA!

http://www.orvis.com/fishingreports

3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    I could spend a week on the Gallatin and not feel like I had approached its limit. from the big pools down near Bozone to the undercut grassy banks up near the park.
    D

mtskibum16 and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  4. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    Fish streamers on some Yellowstone tribs!

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

I've fished YNP in shirtsleeves and snow squalls that time of year; if you go (definitely recommend it) be prepared for both. NE end of the park would probably be winding down by then (guess you could nymph, maybe streamers), but lots of other water would be hopping - runups from Hebgen, the Yellowstone, etc; solid hatches on the west side streams.
    Check with the folks at Blue Ribbon or Parks flyshops for info in/around the park; Troutfitters, in Bozeman, is a good shop for lots of water in/around town.

Regards,
    Scott

6. montana_sam

montana_sam Member

Best bet, Upper Madison near Ennis.

7. beaverhead, big hole, jefferson just to add to your confusion

8. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    I'd fish the Madison, Yellowstone, Gallatin, and book at least one day on the spring creeks.

9. Kirk Estlick

Too much water to little time!

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Just pick a spot and go. You won't be disappointed.

11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    Just be sure to check river closures on the Montana DFW website: http://fwp.mt.gov/news/restrictions/waterClosure.html

There are mandatory "hoot owl" closures from noon to midnight on many rivers in Montana right now for high water temperatures, including some mentioned in this thread (Madison, Jefferson, Big Hole, etc.). The upper Madison and its tributary in the park, the Firehole, also often are closed this time of year.

Dick

12. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

By October, the need for the warm water restrictions should almost certainly be ended. The Firehole and Madison should be in perfect shape. Subscribe to Blue Ribbon Fly's and Bud Lilly's Fly Shop weekly email updates. The weather then may be anything from early blizzards to Indian Summer-perfect. Don't overlook the upstream-migrating browns and rainbows into the Madison. Read about the Back of the Barns pools in Joe Brooks' wonderful old books.

13. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Someone said it above, but get ahold of the dudes at Troutfitters in Bozeman. Good guys and they have really nice detailed reports online. Most places I'd be looking at have been listed. If it was me fishing that time of the year, I'd be throwing big streamers looking for the big-boy browns! Have fun!

14. astrofisher

astrofisher Clear Skies

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fished the Madison above Highway 87 bridge and hit an amazing PMD hatch. Local guy said it happens every morning during summer. Great fishing! A friend fished same area later in the year and did well with caddis imitation a little further upstream from bridge.

15. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Member

Home Page:
    We fish with Fins & Feathers fly shop out of Bozeman every August. Toby picks us up at the hotel, drives to what ever river looks best that day. I sit in that padded seat in the drift boat and just enjoy the outing. Guide ties on the fly, nets the fish, takes pictures. Provides a gourmet lunch, and has us back to the hotel in time for dinner. Gallatin, Yellowstone, Madison... wonderful. Haven't fished any spring creeks yet, but I want to. Don't forget to take your Tenkara rods.

16. Kirk Estlick

I'm not sure I will be able to afford a guide at all for this trip. I work at a fly shop so money is tight.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

17. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    It should be fairly easy. All the big rivers should be fishing really well, barring any rain or early snow melting off. I like the Boulder River.