Bozo's on Pass Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by islandfisherman, Aug 17, 2005.

1. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Home Page:
    Last night as I was going to pick up my wife at Island Hospital,noticed that someone was at the lake slowed to take a quick look,then saw a big WAKE...hum that is strange....there they were in a green raft with a electric motor cruising around !!!...I'm right that Pass is a no motor of any kind lake?...made a stop and called(no cell phone) told them about what was going on they thanked me and said, would go and check it out....hope they got there in time to talk/cite them.....Alan

2. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    it is a no motor lake, although i'm not sure of the logic in not allowing electrics. maybe its to keep us tubers from getting run down by those 80lb thrust electrics. ;) i don't think they would give any advantage as far as fishing and there's no pollution as long as you don't lose the battery. even if they were allowed i doubt if many people would use them on that size lake.

longer nights mean pass will start cooling at bit by the end of the month, barring a heat wave.

3. WT

WT Active Member

Are you kidding me? It would be freakin' bumber cars on that lake if electrics were allowed.
    DT

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Good on ya mate, thanks for calling that in. The only way we will be able to keep a great fishery in pristene condition is policing ourselves. There have been many times that I have advised others on the rules and keeping spincasters and fish keepers out. I will be back up there as soon as the temps cool off. Thanks again :beer2:

5. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    deep trout. do you really think people are that lazy? maybe so. cranberry is not too bad even with the paddle boats. i remember once arriving at pass to find some kind of floating jamboree and about 100 tubes and pontoons. what a waste of gas.

6. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Home Page:
    When I saw them the first thing that flashed into my mind was,wounder if they have spinning gear with them also? and if they were just making a" check out the boat run "there are other bodies of water within 10 min. of pass...some people just don't care and that is a shame!!!

7. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    do you realize how much effective a boat with a trolling motor is? When i was bass fishing in texas it was amazing. Anyway, if it says no motors, no motors. We must keep regulating.

8. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    an electric can make moving and casting much easier, but few troll slow enough to mimic natural foods you'd find in pass lake. i used one for bass fishing in GA and it was great, i'd agree, but most trout fishermen who do use them rely on them only coming and going. it's pretty common here and in BC. kicking along slowly or rowing very slowly are the way to troll at pass. i'm in no way advocating for allowing electrics at pass. i just would not see the point in using one anyway. I am curious as to the logic when other catch and release fly fishing only lakes do allow electrics.

i would hazard that pass gets more unintentional violators of fishing rules just because of the park being near with all those people. for the 15 years i have fished there, i've never seen an officer there, just the ranger coming by to empty the collection box, so most times people don't ever even know they sinned. its a pretty unusual lake and one of my favorites, we should do whatever is needed to protect it.

9. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    Years ago my buddy was driving by Pass Lake with his Snoopy rod and power bait. He literally set up his lawn chair at the boat ramp and tossed out his chartruese power bait. The ranger was there that day.

To this day I love to tease him about being a convicted poacher. There's white collar crime, blue collar crime, and then there's redneck crime.

Calvin