BP-The Spill We Shouldn't Forget

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Apr 23, 2012.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Attached is a scan from Sunday's Tacoma News Tribune-from The Associated Press:

Attached Files:

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Well, the nice ads they have, showing BP employee's, who grew up in the area, stating that things are all good now, certainly suggests we should move on and not hold any ill feelings towards an honest mistake...I'm good.

Dehlan G likes this.
  3. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I think it is great to remain vigilant but I am suspicious of this one. Jose Wehebe and Larry Dahlberg both did specials on this and went out and caught fish with the folks that have been sampling the all species of fish since the spill. They looked at the impacts on the shoreline and questioned those working in the fishery too. They were definately looking for a problem but found none. All the thousands of fish flesh samples that were taken since the spill tested negative for any hydrocarbon problems. The guides and commercial guys seem to think the fishing was better than ever. There may be something to these new allegations but I would move slowly to pass judgement until we know the facts.

4. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

No. We shouldn't forget. Not the BP spill in the gulf, nor the Exxon Valdez in Alaska. But that does not mean we have to shut everything down forever either. Clean it up, take proper precautions to insure these accidents do not happen again, and move forward.

Ed Call likes this.
  5. dryflylarry

Media:
    Apparently the largest environmental disaster in US History has almost been forgotten... :eek:

6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    I think it is currently underway.

Flying from Seattle to New Orleans this week the sheer scope and number of fracking wells is astonishing. Once you cross the Yellowstone/teton range the entire flight path to Dallas and then to New Orleans was scattered with fracking sites. each one of those sites is about the size of a two-three tennis courts, a dirt road leads to most of them, they're stripped absolutely and fundamentally bare of vegetation and from the ground you might see two or three but from 30,000 feet you can see thousands and thousands of them. For mile after mile after mile, the earth is all pockmarked up with these sites. Rivebeds, fault lines, the semi-arid Wyoming and Colorado plains, ridges, hollows, gulleys, Texas hill country, right up to Dallas city limits everywhere you look there are those same shapes, the same spider-vein roads leading to them. It is one depressing scabbed-out scene, the scope of which is so much more vast than the Pebble mine or BP or Valdez. This was just one air route, let alone through the Marcellus Shales and Pensylvania/Ohio deposits. Or wherever in the world there's coal seams... And to think of all the crap pumped in to bust that gas out. Fucking depressing.

7. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Buy a Prius and shut the f*** up. I'm tired of supporting countries that don't like us.

kamishak steve likes this.
  8. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    Yeah, f*** Canada! Priceless.

9. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    By the way, these environmental disasters are never properly mitigated. If it were as simple as just cleaning it up, the clean it up and move on approach would be viable. But first, rarely is there good base line data to assess before-and-after spill conditions. In a lot of cases, the true extent of the environmental damage is nearly imposible to quantify. Then, there is the compensatory damage and the frought subject of ecosystem valuation. It's not just a matter of clean it up and move on.

Speyfisher, If you don't like supporting foriegn oil imports--you should buy a prius and stop your complaining.

10. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I don't believe there has been a herring fishery in Prince William Sound since the oil spill, not so easy for those guys to "move on". Not to mention every thing that feeds on those herring.

11. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

When you say fracking I assume you are talking about ground fracturing to harvest natural gas? Check out a documentary called GasLand. A guy goes on a trip to document all of the damage to the land and more importantly peoples health. There is a scene where a woman lights her running tap water on fire from the faucet.

12. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    I saw an episode of Spanish Fly, fishing off the coast of Louisiana examining the after effects of the Deepwater Horizon spill. While Jose appeared to be gilling every fish he landed, he said the guides were reporting the fishing was great, possibly due to less fishing pressure because tourists had been scared away. Spin by the guides to get the tourists back? There did appear to be signs remaining along shoreline vegatation of the spill. Careful monitoring and mitigation should continue.

13. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

You guys are a bunch of enviro-terrorists. Until the day comes that we no longer need to import crude, the price of fuel will continue to rise.

14. dryflylarry

Media:
    Apparently you've been snorting too much coal dust near Pittsburg. Get your head out of the dust and smell the roses my friend. Enviro-terrorists?!!!!! Oh brother....

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  15. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Snorting too much coal dust near near Pittsburg? If I had my way, I'd shut down every coal mine in the country. Clean Coal? Give me a break, there is no such thing. How many coal miners have to die before we quit sending miners to their graves?

Let me get this straight. Unless I'm opposed to any & all forms of energy development, sans wind or solar, I'm a nut cake member of the far right? We can't drill in the ocean, we can't drill on the land. And, even though no one has ever so much as stubbed their toe at a nuke plant, we can't even utter the word, 'cause it could happen. But we can continue to do business with Communist countries and Islamic countries who want to kill all infidels, as long as we stay out of their countries and leave them alone.

WTF have you guys been smoking? Alan Combs special blend? Or what?

16. Theron

Theron Active Member

USA Today reported back in February that the Energy Department stated that for the first time since 1949 the US exported more gasoline, heating oil and diesel that it imported.

17. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

A couple of things to consider: domestic oil production is up by 20% since 2008 and demand is down. Last year the US became a net exporter of refined fuels, in fact it is our #1 export. So even though we are producing more crude domestically, we continue to pay high prices for fuel partialy because it is sold on the world market( as well as the speculators on oil futures).

18. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    i find the use of the term "terrorists" to describe those whose only crime is disagreeing with you as very offensive.

terrorists blow up buildings and kill innocent civilians... not discuss and get in disagreements over energy production and natural disasters.

19. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

20. dryflylarry

Media: