Brass tubes for tube flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rob Blomquist, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I got some brass tubing from a hobby store, and tried cutting it with a Dremel tool, but it left a ragged edge. Is there a better way to cut it to let it have a smooth edge?

Is there a local source for brass or other metal tubes for tube flies? And I am not interested in paying a mint, reasonable prices are something like $0.50 each. I have seen some locally for about $1.25 each.

The brass tubing cost me $1.80 for 3 feet.

2. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

Media:
    I use plastic q-tips, 300 for $1.00. Cut em, burn the ends to form a nice rounded edge, and I use a big brass bead in front of them (or between two) if I need add some weight.

3. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I can't help you with cutting your own, but I can get you some pre-cut, plastic lined copper tubes.
    I am about to do an order from HMH (who provide us with tubes). They have Copper tubes in 1/2" incriments from 1/2"-3". They cost $4.79 per 10.
    If you would like me to order some for you, let me know.
    Anil
    Puget Sound Fly Company
    253-839-4119

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    You might try using a pipe cutter like is used for copper plumbing pipe. I'm talking about the kind that have a circular cutter and spin around the tube, cutting deeper with each rotation.

I think you'll need to debur no matter which way you cut it though. A tapered steel mandrel with some lapping compound should do the trick for the inside surface.

5. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    That's a lot more expensive than I have ever seen. Most of the brass ones I have seen for sale are like 10 for $4.00; personally, I buy them from this fly shop:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/tube-fly-parts.htm

because I like the way they are flared and I like the weights and lengths.

Circlespey

6. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Member

Media:
    "Take nothing but pictures leave nothing but your tracks"

Yep the ones from Flyfishusa are nice bought some last month and been a tying.

BG

7. Rich McCauley

Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Media:
    Tight Loops,
    AlpineTrout is right about the cutter. Hobby stores generally sell a small one for about $5.00. This will help with the burrs, but you will still have issues with your tippet being abraded by the tube. You will need to find plastic tubing that can be inserted into the metal tubing .. And yes it is a pain. Leave a bit of surplus material on each end to melt. Forms a lip and seals the unit. The commercial brass tubes seem to have a higher percentage of copper and are heavier than any of the brass tubing I have found in hobby stores. I use the commercially available tubes or ...... And I can just envision the flaming posts now...... Plastic tubes with BIG brass barbell eyes. Gets my 3 to 5 inch bunny and marabou monsters headed toward the stones. I do not always use barbells, but in some situations it is necessary.

8. rockfish

rockfish Member

hood canal discount tackle on southshore rd sells plastic tubing real small diameter for 10 cents a foot, it works really well for any applications you could think of.

catch and release wild sculpins