BRAVEHEART comes back to PNW

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by William Wallace, Mar 28, 2013.

1. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Well as some may know who know me, I am in the Coast Guard (21,5 years) and it is my time to transfer! I leave Station Calumet Harbor (Chicago) and now have received orders to National Motor Lifeboat School Standardization Team, Illwaco Washington (CAPE D).

My career has been up and down like any job, I make it fun and enjoyable for me and the ones I work for. When it comes stressful, I make it fun and enjoyable. This transfer season was stressful, but got my number one pick, which makes me happy, wife happy, which is #1 in my book.

I am going to be back home in Washington, fishing with my brother, enjoying our property on the NF Stilly and all my friends I left in 2009. I will miss the people I met here, sad for my daughter (13) who has made friends, tons of friends, but she understands my job and said" It is okay dad, I would have never met these people if it wasn't for you" okay, it made me cry like a baby when she said that.

So to all you Washington guys, I will be back in July and hope to see you on the rivers and lakes. We are still not sure if living in Illwaco area or somewhere close. Depends on my recall status and command concerns.

So FREEDOM is back in Washington!

William Wallace (BRAVEHEART)

Islander, Richard Torres, GAT and 3 others like this.
  2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome back!

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Thank you for your service and welcome back. Hope the fish will be happy to see you and jump and dance for you.

4. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

Congrats! We moved back last summer after 4 years in Cape May NJ. I'm across the river at ANT Astoria. Let me know if you need any local area info-

Brian

5. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Bro I had tears in my eye's when you told me you are coming home to Washington. Time to get a new fly outfit for sea perch!!!!!! Can't wait!!!

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Welcome back!

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Welcome back! Coasties should never have to buy their own beer.

William, for the record, when Robert the Bruce was dying in 1329. he asked his closest friend, Sir James Douglas (the Black Douglas) to carry his heart to the holy land on crusade. Bruce's dying wish was to go on crusade, kinda the "bucket wish" thing. So, Douglas takes the heart with him, and before a battle with the Saracens, he rides out onto the field carrying the heart in a little silver and lead-lined casque, throws it out onto the field of battle, and says "go first, Brave Heart". That's where they got the title for the movie.

wadin' boot and Tacoma Red like this.
  8. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    Welcome Back.

Olypenjeeper, I was stationed at ANT Portland, OR (which I think you guys took over their duties a while ago). It was one of the best jobs I ever had! We were a small unit that was pretty much left alone to do our duties.
    We had a non-marked (no big orange stripe on it) 18' work boat, that had fishing rods in a lot of the time.

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

Exceptthat it didn't happen in the Holy Land. He wound up in Spain fighting the Moors during the reconquista.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Shit, now we're getting History lessons.

Tacoma Red likes this.
  11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    That's better than sewing lessons...:D

12. William Wallace

Now I am even more confused with my name! Shoot I am getting out the sewing machine and make a new kilt

13. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

If more people studied history maybe the human race would Quit making the same mistakes over and over again !!!

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I didn't do very good in school. And now I'm smarter than I was when I was in school. I can't believe that today's kids are not as smart as the think they are. My granddaughter, well one of them, Graduated High School and she still can't spell. She doesn't know the states. Not to smart with money either.

It seems that they just push them through school and to hell what they learn.

This is supposed to be "no child left behind". They would be better off if they left the dumb ones behind.

rory likes this.
  15. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Congratulations on your orders to Cape D. Sounds like an interesting job. Is this assignment going to be the end of the road for you or are you waiting to see what's offered when you're tour complete?

16. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I think kids are smarter then I ever was at their age, The kids on my street are all driveing newer Mustangs & honda cars . When I drive down the street, the Dad is outside mowing the lawn & the kids are sitting on the couch watching TV inside the house. That wasn't the case when I was a high School kid living at home ....

17. William Wallace

We will see, I missed MSSE Warrant by only few points, still going to see about E8. But With two back surgeries, right shoulder and rt knee surgeries, this young 47 year old is tiring of pounding of the small boats, crawling into tite engine rooms and steel decks. Still pass the PT test in the 20-30 yr group, but this may be it. Gets us back to Washington, find house, get wife and daughter settled, so easier transition for just me to adjust to OCS (official civilians status).
    I love my wife, but when she hears retirement, she thinks of her dad and my dad, they did not work no more. I am telling her it is like I am just quiting one job and just getting another. I know there is more to it, but if I can get her to relax just a little and lower her stress, which this billet location will do, life will go on on the outside of the Guard.
    But on the other hand, if I make E8 or warrant, well there I will transfer again. So, once the wife comes back from visiting family in California, we will be talking about future a little more. I have enjoyed my almost 22 years, ups and down just like any job, worked for people who I would step in front of a bullet for and other well, I think my shoe is untied or hey look up at the dead bird. Overall, I have met many great friends, thanks to FB, email, txt'n I still talk with all.
    I mean who ever knew, I could be fishing on the Yak, be talking to someone and find out they were a Coastie. Small service, big world, and have met many other from this site and others.

SO, for now NMLBS STAN Team...See you all soon

William BRAVEHEART Wallace

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    When I retired, I retired. I haven't done a lick of work since that I could be paid for. I figured that since I started working at age 14, I retired at 64. I was entitled to live the rest of my life at ease. I've been retied now since May of 1999. And enjoying every minute of it. I can go fishing when ever my little heart desires to.

19. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Medieval history, Crusades, Saracens, Anatomy and a homecoming- this is a great Easter theme! Getting to the historical root of why the heart is seen as a center of emotion when alls it is is a pump...To think if they had got their functional anatomy down Robert the Bruce might have had his brain in a lead and silver lined tin, and he would be known as "Brave Brain."

Welcome back William, good luck to your daughter. I went to 5 different schools between age 10 and 13. I wish I had had the wisdom to say then what your daughter did now about moving, sounds like she has some wisdom beyond her years!

20. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Welcome back! Almost seems like you never left, the way time flies. there's a long lineage of William Bruce Wallace's in our family tree, going back to William the Bruce. However, my Dad is not 100% Scottish, but my Mom was 100% Finnish, so I identify more as a Finn.

According to the history books, William Wallace, aka "Braveheart" left no known children or heirs. So none of us Wallaces can lay legitimate claim to be descended from Braveheart. Of course he may have sown some illegitimate wild oats...

What the hell.... FREEDOM!

(My dad grew up in Long Beach, CA and served in the Coast Guard in So CA, way back when. Once, they thought they had spotted an enemy periscope, but it turned out to be a broom.:D)