Breaking in the Rapidan...

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by para_adams, Sep 19, 2013.

1. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Spent a pleasant fall day on the Yakima trying out my new Montague Rapidan 8.5 foot. It's not a top of the line rod but its surprisingly strong with a smooth 7 weight line. I was casting and covering the water as well as I do with my 6 weight Sage VXP. Felt good, and broke it in with a cutt and a bow. I can get used to this! Rapidan with October Caddis.jpg :)

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    Congratulations and welcome to the bamboo club! You'll have a lot of fun with your Monty but be sure to take advantage of any opportunity to cast and sample different tapers, there is a lot of neat bamboo rods to be cast.

Mike

3. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Way to go! Glad you're having fun with bamboo!

4. Doug Lee

Doug Lee Member

You have lots of fun ahead of you. Just be careful, handling bamboo can lead you down a slippery slope. But it will be worth it. Like Mike said above, try lots of sticks. Sooner or later you will find one (or more) that really belongs in your hand.

5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Great to hear you enjoyed your Rapidian. It looks to be in great shape. There is an endless supply of not "top of line" rods that are damn good rods. Brand and price are simply irrelevant when it comes to how well a rod is going to work for you and even less (if there is anything less than irrelevant) in regards to how good it feels to an individual caster.

TC

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Woo is you. No good can come of this.

7. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Paragon.jpg Yes, woo is me. This is a slippery slope and the fever is definitely hot. I now have the Rapidan (which I'm replacing one guide on but which is otherwise in great condition) and my super big project is a Phillipson Paragon which needed a lot of TLC. It even had a bent nail for the hook keeper - no joke. Dennis Stone is coming to the rescue by scarfing the tip and building a second tip. When I get it back from Dennis it's going to get all hardware including new stripper, guides and reel seat - all new except for the original cork handle. Right now I'm reading everything I can find on refurbishing bamboo rods. I've built a few graphite rods but this seems more complex and somehow seems to carry more responsibility to treat the rod with the respect it is due. It's all very engrossing. Before stripping the Paragon and sending it to Stone I took it out on the Spokane river and it was an awesome rod to cast even when using a tip from the old Rapidan in place of the shorted original tip. The fast action suites my casting very well. I can't wait to get the rod back from Dennis Stone and get it built. View attachment 33253 . Hopefully I won't butcher the refurbishing job...I'm going to go slow and careful all the way!

8. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I have a 5wt Phillipson Pacemaker (an older pre-impregnation model) that I use on lakes in spring and fall or whenever there is a strong likelihood that I will need to use a sinking line. I think of it as a utilitarian rod that can cover a lot of bases. Although I appreciate the effectiveness of the taper it is considerably stiffer than my preferred action.

TC

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Good on you for realizing the significant physical and structural differences between bamboo and plastic rods. Better yet, bonus points for recognizing that older bamboo rods deserve our respect, not only for their age, but for the often considerable fishing mojo they acquired in the hands of previous owners. Almost all my cane rods are used; most dating from the 1950s through the 1970s. If they could only talk about the places they've been, the fish they've landed and the people who fished them . . .

K

David Loy and para_adams like this.
  10. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Another outing with Mr. Rapidan. Mr. Tiger Trout, meet Mr. Rapidan. IMG_0217.jpg

11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Beautiful frog... er, fish!
    I know I've seen that shot somewhere before...

Very nice photo of a special trout, para adam.
    Just be aware - as has been said before, the bamboo slope can be a very slippery one.

para_adams likes this.