BreAking news

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The 20 inch minimum size limit on bull trout came from some life history studies on the region's bull trout (Skagit/Stillaguamish/Snohomish river basins). It was found that there were 3 basic life histories - resident, fluvial and anadromous. What was found was that a 20 minimum size limit would protect virtually all the females in the population through at least one spawning. The resident fish would be protected their whole life, the fluvial (river dwelling) fish would be protect for at least 2 spawnings and the anadromous fish for one or two spawnings. This regulation change went into effect in 1990 was design to address what was thought to be an over fishing problem (many of the fish were being harvested as both sub-adult and adult fish).

It appears that the change was successful in addressing the over-harvest problem as evidenced by significant increases in spawning abundance with the degree of response apparently limited by the amount of spawning and rearing habitat for the small juvenile bull trout. Following the regulation change there was a several fold increase in spawners on the Snohomish system and on the Skagit the increase was more than a 20 fold increase in the numbers of fish on the spawning grounds.

For those interested in a thumbnail sketch of bull trout 101 the following link may be of interest -

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-skagit-bull-trout-bio.83193/

It may be time to re-visit bull trout management in those basins where harvest is currently allowed though it may be well to remember that in those basins where bull trout harvest is not allowed fishing for them is prohibited. While that may not be a problem to some the is somewhat of an angler ethical question for those that want to target them.

Curt

2. CLO

CLO Bonk Hatcheries

Media:
    Looks like one less female to me.. thanks Nate and WDFW for great management of wild fish.

[​IMG]

3. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    If I fought with one of those fish, and caught it. I would be really pissed.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  4. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

Matt Baerwalde and David Dalan like this.
  5. lol this boner i see all the time

http://reelpriorities.com/services/

I should mention that i have no issues with this guy or anything, i just cant stop laughing paying someone to take you to pay for gear out of ur pocket

CLO likes this.
  6. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

50$ an hour to learn how to take a picture of a fish? I don't even...how...what?? I already know how to take a selfie using instagram.

7. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:

Do people pay for that? Isn't google free?

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Meanwhile, I just thought I'd mention that I think that was a fine trout Daniel caught. I've never caught a big rezie trout in the Sky.

Sg

Ed Call and Chawhee like this.
  9. NW_Steel

NW_Steel New Member

Not that I post much on this this site. Nor do I claim to know as much as you would on this subject ever. I can only go off of what I have seen happen on the sky over the last 5 years or so more than I have ever seen in my past 25+ years on it. I agree that the size and the range of the fish would be consistent with a jack and the term "half-pounder" would be incorrect. However, just the other day I landed a fish of almost exact size and weight, native, and two toned chrome bright. I have also seen and hooked more and more fin clipped versions of this fish in June. I also had an experience on the Cowlitz last summer all fin clipped fish that looked the same. (they were not the cutts in there, we got those to)
    The coloration of this fish would indicate a "resi" but that doesn't indicate summer run or not. Once upon a time when we fished into April, it wasn't completely unheard of to run into an early summer run. If this happened to be one of those fish, it most likely would have the color of a fish that has been in the river for a while. I've seen it in June with other wild fish (pictures to prove it if needed).
    A scale sample would be the only way to tell for sure. But the rainbows that I have caught on that river tend to have much more bulk than that fish. I'm hoping that this is a good sign to come with our wild fish populations. I vote Jack.

10. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    So if a person like me who is looking for there first steelhead, and is pissed off that they caught this "jack" instead. Can you call it "jacked off"?

11. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    NW steel I agree with seeing a lot more 18-22" chrome bright males in June. I've seen and caught several over the last couple years especially and they are easy to ID as a mini steelhead. I've also tangled with a lot of resident rainbows and from the pic this seems like a classic example of a post spawn rainbow that moved out into the main channel and is on the feed. The larger rainbows are really migratory and move around the system a lot making them a sort of rare catch. In a month that rainbow Daniel is holding will be a thick and healthy badass sculpin hunting trout. They are an amazing fish and every bit as worthy as a steelhead. Who knows that rainbow may have just finished spawning with a wild winter steelhead or two.

But I could be wrong! image.jpg

Lex likes this.
  12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

maybe those are the size of fish that can pass thru the high seas squid gillnets

sopflyfisher likes this.
  13. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    No problemo senor. ..from what I saw in the brief few minutes I met you.....your a bag a fun:) swell guy great attitude and real happy go lucky kinda guy..you deserve a fish! And a sox! -Salmonsteelsox over and out

Ed Call likes this.
  14. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Only Dan could make a rainbow so damn famous and talked about.

You're like the Oprah of fly fishing, except ginger and not black.

plaegreid and David Dalan like this.
  15. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

If this happens at one of my daughters dance recitals...I'll murder the teacher.

plaegreid and Evan Virnoche like this.
  16. Dustin Bootz

Dustin Bootz Team Nate

The fishing on the Skykomish has taken a serious nose dive, I've floated the lasr 5 days with only one dolly that came off at the boat.

17. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    That's what happens when you have a proverbial circus of sleds, boats, and bankies in every piece of holding water for two weeks straight.

stilly stalker likes this.
  18. Dustin Bootz

Dustin Bootz Team Nate

They also have been netting the mouth and bay all week too.