Bridge collapse

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, May 23, 2013.

1. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bert, dryflylarry, Lugan and 3 others like this.
  2. ribka

ribka Active Member

I discontinued my use of public transit in DC after being held up twice by an armed robber and my car broken into 5 times in the 1990's

My wife was assaulted twice on NYC public transit. She is lucky to have survived

I rode Oakland public transit in the mid 80's and experienced a few attempted robberies.

How many here that support it would put their wives and daughters on public transit?

I guess if it stops spontaneous truck induced bridge collapses and global warming tornadoes in Oklahoma it is worth it.

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

I
    I hope you do not own any firearms

You are clearly certifiably insane

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    a
    You are talking about Oakland and NYC. Totally different then the NW. Rode public transit quite a bit through the 80s and a little bit in the 90s here through Tacoma and Seattle, one route being through a then peak violence Hilltop and Salishan. Never had A problem one. I couldn't carry back then, I was under age. Unfortunately you're talking apples and oranges. I wouldn't want to do Oakland or NYC. Hated driving rentals through both.

5. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

If you read the history books you will find that Clinton's first budget, which cut the budget deficit in half, was passed without a single Republican vote. In fact, the Vice President, Al Gore, had to submit the deciding vote in the Senate. It was this budget that is widely credited with leading to the economic boom which made elimination of the deficit a fairly straightforward matter.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

dfl, Bert, dryflylarry and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

So, Inslee is saying it will cost $15 million to repair the bridge. For the sake of argument, maybe we can assume that it could have had preventative structural modification for, let's say, $10 million.
    The viaduct replacement tunnel is costing us $4.25 Billion. That much dough could repair a lot of bridges! (and reinforce the seawall and existing viaduct) I guess beautifying the Seattle waterfront is more important right now; you know, with our thriving economy and all.

7. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

False!! Those books ain't writ yet...Required 2 years and a different congress to make it happen...and some "I never stuck my hook in that fish".

8. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

There is plenty written on the subject. People can argue all day long about the merits of that budget but I stand by my statement. See the following chart for deficit numbers that were halved from 1994 and 1996 (+-). I won't change anybody's mind and have no more to say on the subject.
    http://qvga.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-budget-and-deficit-under-clinton/

Fishing was slow for me today at a certain east side lake, but the fish i did catch were very strong and healthy. :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Bert likes this.
  9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Clearly it collapsed due to lack of skimpy attire in this state. Too much fleece, Birkenstocks, etc.

Dipnet, dfl and Gary Knowels like this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I'm just talking. I ain't going to be coming back there any time soon. I drove in your traffic the other day on I-5. Never again.

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    So driving back from Anacortes on Friday afternoon: La Conner Rd, (Farmhouse Inn) had cars at the light lined up to the south as far as the eye could see. The next one Best Rd was the same - cars as far as I could see. Both of these roads come from the bridge over the north fork and Fir Island where there is another bridge over the South Fork. BTW, according to the paper the North Fork bridge received a lower grade than the I-5 bridge. Running an extra 20-30,000 cars and trucks over shouldn't have any effect tho...right? Keep in mind all these roads out there on the flats are a single lane each way with deep ditches and NO shoulders. One little mechanical problem with one little car and things will get even worse.

The bridge in Mount Vernon was already getting heavy use and all the roads feeding it are littered with stop lights. That's what you'll get after waiting in traffic all the way from Conway.

The new bridge in Burlington had cars and trucks lined up from the north all the way through the Hopper exchange and up the freeway, and once they got off of the freeway into town there was a light every block. I was going the other way and it took me twenty minutes to get from College Way and Riverside to Costco.

In my commute, I have to cross the Hwy 9 bridge from Sedro to get to my house. Solid cars lined up from Sedro to the south, across the bridge and through Clear Lake which is where I turn off. I would imagine that the line kept going for miles.

All this was the day after the collapse and I'm sure it was too late for many folks to change travel plans. I think it will lighten up some but it's hard to determine how much.

If you are coming this way, make sure you have plenty of gas and patience...or stay home.

So yes, there are more bridges and of course this is exactly where ALL the traffic is being diverted to. There are plenty of secret paths to get around town...until you have to cross the river.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Don't forget gay marriage and legalized pot. Washington is a veritable Soddom and Gomorrah, so we're obviously paying the price...!

K

dfl and dryflylarry like this.
  13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    I like the stay home suggestion. I think everyone that lives south of Camano Island should stay away from Skagit County. Nothing up here for them anyway.

14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Maybe it's the puffy jackets and flat-billed baseball caps you guys keep talking about?

dfl, Chris Johnson and Kent Lufkin like this.
  15. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

Only one of those bridges is more than one lane in each direction, and with narrow lanes. The only bridge with two lanes is the Riverside Drive/Burlington Boulevard bridge. It is a 25 mph street with a traffic light nearly every block.

That street was already near capacity at busy times of day.

16. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Member

Media:
    I think they should just build a new bicycle trail over the river. ;) Everything will be fine.:rolleyes:

17. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
  18. Brookie_Hunter

Media:
  19. Brookie_Hunter

Media:
    I guess I'm back in again. I respectfully disagree. That's at best revisionist history. You can't show me a single budget projection for any President,Clinton included that was even remotely close to projections more than a couple years out as there are always too many variables and unknowns to possible account for. Without digging in deeper, I'm certain that whatever was actually projected in that first budget as lowering the debt in their budget projections wasn't in fact the real contributor. But I won't argue that Clinton's tax hikes didn't added revenues to the government coffers but that was simply not the main contributor to the deficit reduction leading to that brief surplus. The soaring economy, which Clinton was little responsible, led to that outcome. It was certainly helped by spending restraints commenced in 1994 with the Republicans influence, but more importantly the government received unexpectedly high tax revenues much of the 1990's from rising salaries and capital gains from the dot com bubble before the charade finally came to an end, leading to the recession at the start of the Bush Administration.

20. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    I remember when the Nugents corner bridge fell in on the Nooksack in 89' in Deming. We lived in Maple Falls at the time, and with no other bridges around it was a long haul in either direction to get to the big smoke. Patience was key when being qued up on a farm road for sure!