Bridge collapse

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, May 23, 2013.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I'm really done, and pretty pissed. About to do a mass parking/banning now of EVERYONE on this thread who posted political BS and "mocking" of a liberal or conservative nature. And don't play stupid either. I didn't mind talking about budgets as it came to reconstructing bridges. But when we're talking about budgets from 20 years ago on a national level, what party thinks that local new laws concerning rights have degraded or enhanced the NW, and just total political based drivel not concerning the topic directly (and don't play the "Well that budget set the ball rolling to this crisis" bs either).

So, next political post that clearly isn't based on the bridge directly (and I should NOT have to explain what that is either) I'll just do a mass parking of EVERYONE on this thread who has posted political BS (both conservative and liberal, it's only fair), even those who did it BEFORE my first warning (since all who did KNEW better then to put that drivel up).

We clear?

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is a holiday weekend. Traffic is bound to be bad. Traffic during the week should calm down.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Why I stay home all holiday weekends. I'm out most of the year. I can just stay home and get caught up on stuff around the farm (like now, I'm posting from my shop, doing cleanup work). I help keep the congestion down a little, especially not towing my boat full of camp/cook gear. ;)

4. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I cancelled an annual trip out to the San Juan with friends, in part due to the bridge and in part due to a hip injury and kidney infection. :( I hate not fishing but I can now almost see the top of my fly tying desk and have sorted materials into some new storage drawers. Plus, I got all the fly boxes, leader, indicators, etc. off the breakfast bar so it almost looks like a kitchen again. If I feel up to it, I may even get the rods and reels off the dining room table and put away. The downside of being single is that my house usually looks like a fly shop and REI had a high speed collision as there is no one to force me to give up fishing time and stay home to do chores, LOL, so this bridge and injury stuff has been a mixed blessing for me.

dfl likes this.
  5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

My concern is strickly for my family that went camping this week end.
    They have to come through that mess to get home tomorrow.

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Farm house for Swedish Pancakes this morning then Costco Gas, no Problem the People from the North didn't have a clue, I live in MV so know all the cuts, but like many others have posted its going to be a fucking headache, and the barge with the crane was there to start removal

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Saw a report that a temporary fix is expected in the next couple of weeks. That is faster than anticipated. Glad they are working on the salvage operation to remove the fallen bridge section. Hoping that you all have a return to normalcy as soon as possible. Until then, I'm keeping my distance.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Are they using one of those temp bridges that the Army Corp of Engineers use? Would definitely be a quick fix.

9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Yeah maybe. But if you've had to do any work for the government, like I have....should be done some time before Christmas...of 2014. :D

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Sorry to hear of your injury and illness. I haven't fished for a while either. My reason is that I'm lazy and don't want to get out in the rain. I might melt.

Irafly likes this.
  11. Ed Call

Unsure. Walking through the airport I see it is on the Seattle Times front page. I'm intrigued to read that one.

12. GAT

GAT Active Member

This post isn't about the bridge so I may be shot at rain rise but Freestone, I'm very sad to read about about your illnesses... that sucks! Hope you get better soon! Also sorry you missed your annual trip. Oh... just to cover my ass... the bridge suffered an injury.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

This is one of the reasons that crossing bridges gives me the willies. That high bridge out of Coeur d' Alene onI-90 give me the shakes so bad I only drive over it at about 35 MPH. When I drive to Washington I have to cross the Clark Fork 13 times. By the time I get to St Regis, I'm a nervous wreck. But I'm getting better at it. I did the Sky Bridge out of Chicago on I 90 without being nervous.

i

Derek Young likes this.
  14. GAT

GAT Active Member

There's a one lane, metal, piece of crap bridge that crosses The Willamette as the primary route out of Corvallis. They've refurbished the thing I don't know how many times instead of replacing it. They (whoever they are) claim it has historic value and that is why they don't want to replace it. So every day during rush hour, traffic piles up in the city so commuters can eventually drive over the historic piece of junk. Corvallis is only second to the metro area for the most expensive place to live in Oregon so a ton of the Corvallis workforce drive too and from Corvallis each day.

The thing has no aesthetic value in the least and looks like an old railroad bridge.

Ridiculous. A one lane, ugly, bridge over the Willamette that does nothing but create traffic jams... all because someone, somewhere in power claims it has historic value.

We are talking one butt-ugly, restrictive bridge. This is no way to run a railroad.

15. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

16. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

17. Ed Call

Gene, I know that bridge. Wondered why that thing is there, historical monument? Interesting.

18. dfl

dfl Active Member

I love a class act.

Dry Fly Larry

Well you've caught a planet sized load of abuse for stating a simple truth so maybe this will help you understand your tormentors.

I once had access to a TOP SECRET pentagon report on alien abductions in the Pacific Northwest and the effects they have on the victims. The aliens have been identified as having an intellect far above ours in spite of having the shape of a billie goat and they had the unique feature of having three penises. Oddly, they find human males attractive and abducted them to use as sex slaves. Interestingly, after tiring of a victim they returned them to earth. The TOP SECRET pentagon report stated that the victims do not remember their experiences as sex slaves to three peckered billie goats but they do have suppressed longings for making the experience a lifestyle leaving them with unidentified overwhelming sexual frustration that manifests in two ways. One is the need to lash out at people on WFF using foul language and character assassination. The other manifestation is an overwhelming desire to be the homosexual slave of a goat. I hope this helps you understand that in their hormone driven mental instability they are neither rational or pleasant people and are more to be pitied than censured.

Personally, I'd be delighted to meet you on a stream or elsewhere anytime.

19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

One more person I don't need to fish with..................and certainly a waste of good carbon

20. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Was that report you mention, privileged information by chance? ;)