Bright butt purple templedog tube

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Philster, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Been replenishing my flies for salmon season (don't fish for a year and a half and when you get back you'll be doing LOTS of tying :beathead: ) and also been working on downsizing the heads on my tube flies. Here's a pattern that has caught silvers, chum, and steelhead in the past as a hook based pattern. I was turned on to antron as body material about a decade ago. Adds a flashy reflection, and is as durable as lacquered floss.

Tube: Rooney 1 inch light
    Butt and tail: fluorescent chartreuse spooled antron
    Body: purple antron
    rib: x-small oval tinsel
    underwing: 4 strands purple/blue holographic flash
    wing: purple temple dog
    wing flash: purple crystal flash
    top wing: Gentian Violet silver fox (dark purple with black tips)

2. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Phil, nice looking tube. It looks to me like there is some hackle tied as a beard. I am headed out Sunday for Coho and will take a shot at tying some of these. What is your source of the silver fox? Can you recommend a substitute?
    Thanks for sharing. Steve

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Hey Steve. It isn't a beard. It's tied in the wing. See here http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10265c.htm

I get my good wings stuff from the Irish Angler (Jack Cook). You can use anything from bunny, arctic fox, finnish racoon is great, heck, marabou. My main rule is "use what you have unless it won't work" For long 2 to 3 inch swedish style wings you have to go exotic. for most of the stuff we do arctic fox is fine if you comb out alot of the fuzz.

4. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Phil, Jack has my credit card on file and gives it a good workout. Thanks of the help.