Bringing a dog along on the trip

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mike McAvoy, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Cathlamet, WA and Sunny AZ
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Am about to start enjoying more fruits of retirement and am planning an extended road trip fishing this summer and perhaps one in the fall. Have access to a 22' RV but am wondering how it will work if I bring my dog (Griffon) along.

My worry is what to do with the dog while on the river or lake? I've not done this before. I have used the RV in the mountains and parked in the shade it stays comfortable all day. Am not sure this will be true in MT/ID and would like to know if anyone does this and how you handle it.
    Mike
  2. Han Double Member

stanwood
    why can't the dog just go with you while your fishing? griffons are close ranging dogs as far as the pointing breeds go. leaving a dog in a crate during the summer unattended scares the heck out of me.

but if there is no other alternative make sure it has lots of shade, lots of water, and a couple kennel fans for good measure. depending on how hot it is you might want come back every now and then and wet the dog down.

of course if its a real scorcher both you and your dog should be sitting in the river sipping beers during midday instead of fishing.
  3. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Han,
    I think you just pointed out the obvious solution and one I usually practice. Not being English or a mad dog I try to get out of the mid day sun. Quaffing a brew in the shade with Jake would solve a big piece of the puzzle. As far as letting him run loose .... might work but wonder about snakes and him trolling critters ..... especially if he comes to me for backup?
    Mike
  4. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I would condition him to snakes.
  5. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Hey Mike, haven't talked to you in a while. It sounds like you took to the Griff. I'm still a year or two away due to my dogs being in good health. I've just brought my dogs to fish along with me. The Golden want's to help fish, not good, and the Brittany is looking for grouse in the woods, again not good. A Griff will probably will want to do both. However, it sure is nice to have company when you are having such a great time. As mentioned, beware of rattle snakes and rotting salmon. There are some places where you just have to leave them in the car.
  6. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +286 / 1
    How would you do that?
  7. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

I'm taking the Griff with me on the trips and we'll see how it goes. Re snakes, besides avoidance training, which on this side of the mountain would need to do with garter snakes, I just heard about a snake vaccine one can obtain for the dog. I know it is a 2 shot deal but dont know yet if it is a lifetime immunity or good for one year or what.

Good point on the dead salmon too. I've heard from some guys who take the dogs on hunting/fishing trips to ID/MT and my concerns about being a magnet for bear/cat/moose (all who have strolled past my tent in earlier life) seem to be unfounded. ...... we shall see.
    Thanks
    Mike
  8. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Mike, I don't think it's a good idea, you better bring the dog over to my place and I'll watch him/her. How does Sept. 1st work for you...?
  9. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Summer is tough for taking aa dog to MT-it is really hot over there! If you are at an RV park with hookups, you can leave the dog inside the RV with the A/C on. If you have a boat, often dogs get pretty relaxed in a boat. If you are hiking/fishing, take the dog along and just make sure he doesn't range too far. If willl be a learning process for both of you! Have fun in retirement! Rick
  10. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Roper,
    Gee, Sept 1st, that's around grouse season isn't it? Got room for both the dog and me? I dunna how Jake is going to be doing by Sept. Not his fault though. I had only 1/2 knee working last bird season so we limped along logging trails like a pirate carrying a treasure chest on his off peg-leg side.

Jake found and pointed a couple of birds but the grade we were on was about .2% and the birds were gone before I managed to get up where my partner was standing on point.

My plan is to get him into purchased birds this spring/summer and be easy on him during next bird season. I have heard some fantastic stories about bird hunting in MT and some of them occur right where I have personal knowledge a fish or two might live. If we live thru the summer trip I would like to get him someplace where he can search, find, point and do whatever to his heart's content.

To that end, I joined a gym and now can sort of maneuver along on the treadmill at 3 MPH and not look like Quasimoto lurching down an alley. By fall I hope to be able to honor my dog's finds.

So, if with all that history and baggage you still want hunt birds I'll let Jake know and work on him for an invite too.

Just thought, maybe you ought to put that new WM in the rig this summer and the 3 of us can go to MT. If it gets real hot one of us can stay in the shade with the dog, drink beer and pick the other guy (you) up when your float is finished. I only have a 22' RV but it ought to hold 2 men, one dog and 2 cowboy hats.

Mike
  11. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Hey, ya know why cowboys curl the brims of their hats up?

.....so's they can get three in the front seat of the pickup!!!!

Jc
  12. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

You notice Mr Roper either sits two in the truck or has one hell of a wide front seat.
    M
  13. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I open pheasant season every year in the area around Choteau and the hunting is fantastic. On the rest days (the dogs get tired, not us hunters 8^)) we head south to Craig for some awesome fishing on the Missouri. It just doesn't get any better! Rick
  14. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Garter, gopher, bull snake and your training collar. Dog get close to the snake a you "burn" it. Not real hot but when they get close you "burn" it. I have never hit my dog harder than a 3 on my TT Flyway and I hit myself before I ever used it on my dog.
  15. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Let's keep in touch and we'll get into some birds come fall...Montana sounds good!
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,657 / 0
    Here in Montana they have a shot you can give your dog so the a snake bite won't kill it. Maybe I should get it??????????????????????
  17. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

I heard about that too and wondered the same thing. If you do check it out let us all know.
    Mike
  18. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Mike, I'll pass on a story about snake traning. Last year I was down on the Yak and came across a 9 foot bull snake. I have no aversion to snakes so I grabbed him and attempted to put him in my cooler for use as a snake trainer for my dogs. Unforunately, he was bigger than my cooler and after a couple of spirted wrestling matches let him go. My advise is to go for smaller snakes. Later, when I got home I related the incident to my wife. She informed me that if she had come across a snake in my cooler, a dististinct possibility, I would have spent the rest of our married life living alone in the driveway in my camper.

Moral of this story, be sure you are clear on you spouse's attitude toward snakes in the house.
  19. Mike McAvoy olddog22202

I gotta tell you, I vote with your wife on this issue. Any 9' snake gets a wide berth from me and you could whack about 8' off the serpent with the same results.

Hey, I bet that means I'm snake broke! Now if the dog only can pick up on the smarts your wife and I share ......

BTW, bet somebody else asks just what was in that cooler before you bravely went knuckles down on the snake.

I just bought a little 17' lightweight Casita trailer to pull behind the Jeep. Have hopes this will be the ticket for both the dog and the driver. Fiberglass, keeps both snakes and bears at bay ..... me hopes.
    Mike Mc