Bristol Bay DIY float trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bryce Levin, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Bryce Levin previously upsfisher

Tacoma, Wa/ Everett, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    My friend Austin and I guide in AK over the summer. We are driving and up to Anchorage this year and hauling my raft so we can fish BC on the way up and back. At the end of this year’s guide season Austin and I are going to pack the raft down and do DIY float trip in early September in Bristol Bay before heading south through BC. I think we have it narrowed down to the Chilikadrotna/ Upper Nush or Moraine Creek/Alagnak River. Would anyone out there with Bristol Bay float experience be willing to let me pick their brain a little?

Thanks in advance,

Bryce
  2. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +531 / 0
    It would depend upon how late and weather and flows at that time. My coin toss would be for the Alagnak or Moraine. Alagnak because by autumn the trout would have gotten very fat and less molested. And Moraine for similar reasons, but more manageable as far as bears and water hazards. The Alagnak bears are a huge pain in the ass. Consider launching at Egiaugik, at the top of the Kvichak, and running down to King Salmon to take out. The upper five miles of braids in the Kvichak in the fall can be especially very good for fat trout, and big too. A good contact for your trip planning is Van Hartley at Branch River Air Service- www.branchriverair.com -with listings in King Salmon and Anchorage, and long years experience in outfitting trips there. Very reliable. I guided on the Lake Iliamna, Katmai Natl Park and Preserve and Lake Clark Wilderness area waters. I never got up to the upper Nushagak or Chilikadrotna. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com
  3. Bryce Levin previously upsfisher

Tacoma, Wa/ Everett, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Bob, thank you very much for the response. I think that we are looking for something a little different then the Kvichack, although I have heard and read that the upper section is very good. Thank you for the contact, I will send them an email.
  4. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    My buddies and I did a float on the Nonvianuk/Alagnak in early September several years ago. We flew out of King Salmon to Novianuk lake and floated down for 6 days. It was a great trip. We caught loads of trout, grayling, with a few Silvers and Chums thrown in. PM me if you'd like more details.

The fish in my Avatar is from that trip.

GBeeman