Broken Rod Repair

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dfg, Sep 6, 2012.

1. I was fishing an incredibly beautiful river a few weeks ago, on the final day of its season. I had been looking forward to the quiet, the scenery, and the fish. (I had even seen a small black bear crossing the road on my way there. I figured that was a favorable omen.)

I sat on my tailgate while I got my gear ready. When it was time to go, I closed the lift gate on the rod. (I keep telling myself that I really had thought about that possibility, but somehow along the way, the rod had slipped.) No recourse but to take my 4/5 wt. At least I brought to hand a 15" native cutthroat.

When I got home, I called Loomis. Evidently the blanks for this rod are looooong gone. I thought it was toast. With nothing to lose, I tried a homemade fix. I shaved a dowel to fit into the hollow of the rod right at the crunch point. I then wrapped thread around the wound by chucking the end of the rod section into my drill. After an epoxy coating it seemed good to go.

I hit the SF last night. Other than the fact that the flow was about 2 CFM, the tiny fish bit, the evening was warm and best of all: the rod worked!

2. DFG,

By dowel, do you mean a wooden one? I've used fiberglass and graphite pieces salvaged from old odds and end rods and made repairs by adding what amounts to an internal ferrule (or external in one case). Sometimes that works out, and sometimes not. If there is a defect in the blank, making a graphite "dowel" ferrule repair can just shift the location to where the next break will occur. But if the blank is sound, I've had repairs of this sort work out for the long term.

Sg

3. It was a wooden dowel. A graphite rod might have been a better choice, but I didn't have one.

4. I tried that once on my first Fiberglas rod I bought. It didn't work so I chucked it and bought myself another one. I had to because it frustrated me to no end and I ended up smashing the whole damn rod. It's the little things that tend to set me off. Like trying to thread the eye of a size 22 hook. Ugh.