Broken Rod Tales

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by chief, Sep 2, 2013.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    While pushing away from the mucky shore and Beda Lake in my Southfork, I had not noticed that my custom built (by me) GL3, 4 wt had fallen down into the water behind me with the tip lodged in a mat of grass. Feeling some resistance and thinking it was merely the toon's stuck in the muck, I reefed hard on the oars and POW. The boat then glided right out into the lake. I am way more conscious of where my rods are in the pontoon now and have since built an exact replacement. The old one serves as a tomato stake in the garden and as a reminder :).
  2. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Just about this time last year, I was fishing the Dosewallips with some friends with a Sage RPL 5 wt. which a good friend had made for me when I was just starting to flyfish. It was my favorite dry fly rod - very delicate. It was a windy day and on one cast I managed to bury the hook of an EHC into the graphite of the upper section. I gingerly pulled the hook out but a few false casts later, the rod broke. Made for a very short day for me. It has since been replaced by a Redington CT 3 wt., but I still miss the feel of that rod.

Steve
  3. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Today i broke my 9' 7wt on the nisqually. Went to cast and the top of my 3rd section broke just below where my tip attaches. rod broke and then the fly got tangled up all over in the bush to my right. Good thing is that i have a lifetime warenty so i will be testing it out tomorrow.
  4. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    I was on a trip to Reno, I was fishing for big browns and bows on my favorite river. I had two rods and was holding them above my head wading a sketchy stretch to get across. A guy down stream hooked a nice fish. When it jumped I looked and got distracted. I lost my footing and fell snapping both of my rods. Bad as it was the whole reason I was in Nevada was for a week long fishing expedition! Kinda hard to do that with 2 broken rods.
  5. nz trout bum Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I probably fish too much or am just really dumb. I broke/lost three rods by leaving them on the roof of the suburban and driving off. One was a Winston with a vintage Hardy Saint George lost at Big Lake in BC. Another was an Orvis with a Fin Nor reel driving back from the Skykomish and the last was a Sage with a Ross at Big Twin. Then there was the brand new Sage I broke in NZ while stringing it up for the first time. I am reasonably sure there are another handful but those are the memorable ones.

However my pal Sam from Texas set what I believe may be an unbeatable record last month. We fished Neah Bay for 10 days during which he broke 4 rods. Two were his, one was mine and one was Riverruns. The most spectacular was when he was retrieving his fly fast as he was getting ready to cast in the opposite direction into some jumping bait and I watched as a little 4 pound coho came out of nowhere and smacked the fly just as he loaded the rod for a cast. Now he claims he was just setting the hook like he does on bass but i haven't seen many guys set the hook with their backs turned. One other broke as he was releasing a fish and had too much bend in the tip, another on a cast and the other on another cast. I may have to take a little heat on that last one though as i had wrapped a clouser on it a few casts earlier. W
  6. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    I just want to know when your going to be leaving your next fishing trip and where it will be at. I will make sure I stay close behind you.;)
  7. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Shattered a Scott G2 at the butt section setting the hook on a 13'' trout this summer. Looking back it was a ridiculously aggressive hook set. Not my rod and felt like total crap, but shit happens.
  8. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +599 / 0
    I've told my broken rod story before, but here it is again...

It was my first flyrod, an ancient Eagleclaw, but it might as well been exquisite bamboo to me...a poor kid.

Camping out in the woods, fishing a small creek, we decided to take a short hike without my pain-in-the-ass dog, and left her tied up at camp. Seemed like a good idea at the time...she didn't howl or bark, but when we came back we found she'd managed to bite the butt section of the rod completely in half...was I upset, of course, but I knew it wasn't her fault.

I don't miss that old crappy flyrod, but it's a rare flyfishing outing where I don't think about, and very much miss, the best dog I ever had.
    Greg Armstrong and Eric Denny like this.
  9. WA-Fly Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    I have only ever broken one rod in a tragic vacuum accident...
  10. c1eddy Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Too funny. I was just going to give the same story. Had you broken the rod down...but left it strung up with a little tippet reaching the carpet?
  11. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +341 / 0
    x3...
  12. WA-Fly Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    that was exactly the case the leader was touching the carpet and the vacuum picked it up
  13. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +341 / 0
    It sucks when that happens...
    Kcahill likes this.
  14. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Irene Rinhart Park, Yak River Ellensburg. Late 90's. Middle of Summer high flows. First time landing at the the boat launch. 2 brand new fly rods resting with tips on the starboard side of the bow. My 60 some year old father at the oars. At the last min my dad yells "get out of the boat and stop us". I dive out over the starboard side of the bow, hang on to the boat and try to dig my feet into the rocks as the boat drags me past the boat launch, but i get it stopped before the bridge. Feel pretty good until I look up and see 2 broken tips of a Scott and Sage fly rods. Glad both were covered under warranty.
  15. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I just got my rod back from sage broke the very tip it was about 5 wks to get it back , very happy to have it back!
    Kelly Michelsen
  16. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Broke a brand new 8# TFO BVK on its first trip out. Was yarding in a bright chum and leaned on it a bit hard.
    Still landed the fish.
    ouch.jpg ouch perp.jpg
  17. scottybs Active Member

Bellingham, WA and IGH, MN
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Broke 3 rods this year!

Sage 690 Z-axis
    Scott A3
    Winston GVX

Not my greatest year!
  18. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    That is certainly the best excuse for breaking a rod that I have ever heard!! I'd do it too if I had the opportunity. Have broken a good bunch of rods but none were worth what your's was worth.
  19. JSpecc New Member

Redmond, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Broke one yesterday while horsing a big pink into the net. It was real early in the float, and the one time I only have one rod in the boat. Not too much fun rowing to the take out on a river nearly empty of people and full of fish...
  20. DoSer I smell Cheese

Errg... Denver
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    My first post, ain't this fitting...

I must say I am hard on my equipment, some of it my fault, be it stupidity or whatnot, some of it just bad luck, this one qualifies as stupidity.

The best way I have broken a rod, that was not on a fish, would have to be by anchor. A friend and I were driving back from the Colorado to our hotel room and decided it would be fun to do some cookies in a freshly snowed upon parking lot by Pump House, and it was fun. We made a few runs around the EMPTY parking lot and camp site loop and headed on our way. I was about half way to highway 9 when I slammed on my brakes and said "Oh SHIT, our rods are in the back". I hopped out, took a look and my TFO 5wt was turned into a 9 piece rod. I had forgotten that I had my anchor in the back and it rolled over my rod several times. My buddy hopped out to take a look at his Sage and it looked fine, the next day he was lining it up and, snap, the tip broke off.

Lesson learned, I never put rigged rods in the bed of my truck, never.

Robert