Brook in the salt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ErieSteelhead, May 31, 2006.

1. The Dolly / cutthroat thread reminded me of something. I have a quick question. Has any one caught a brook trout in the sound and what did it look like? I have caught hundreds of them but they have all been on the east coast and all been strictly freshwater natives. Do they still have the worm tracks or do they even exist in the salt?

2. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have never heard of anyone catching any Sea Run Brooks in the sound, I am sure that is possible that there could be some sea-runs, but most of the brookies that we have here are confined to the upper reaches of streams, or lakes.

3. TomB

TomB Active Member

brook trout are not native to washington. there are very few to none in most major rivers that drain into the sound. it is very unlikely that you would find any in puget sound, and I certainly haven't heard of any.
    -Thomas

4. I caught one in the sky last summer while I was fishing for humpy, that's why I was asking. Must have just been a fluke. I thought it was a bull or dolly at first glance but it definatly had worm tracks on it after a closer look. Wierd.

5. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    On the east coast, brookies can become anadromous. While helping with a fish diversity survey on Cape Cod, we seined one in a small stream just upstream from tidewater. The fins had the typical markings of a brook trout, but the body was predominately silver with cream-colored spots. While reconstrucing a memory from over 25 years ago, I don't remember the dorsal vermiculations (fancy word for worm tracks) to be very distinctive. It seemed to have the very typical counter shading (dark dorsal, light sides and ventral) of saltwater fishes. After several hundred years of overexploitation, habitat degradation and loss, pollution, etc., it is hard to know how common it is for brookies to become anadromous. There may be some info on this from the Canadian Maritimes where the populations are less impacted.

In the west, brookies were planted primarily in higher elevation lakes; unlike most other trout (but like sockeye salmon), brookies can breed successfully in the lake margins, in the absence of a suitable breeding stream. It is a bit surprising, given how prolific they can be, that they haven't been more successful (?) in invading lower watersheds. The only place in Washington where I have caught brookies in lower elevations was between the dams on the Elwha.

Steve