Brown Trout

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Osiris159, May 8, 2002.

1. Osiris159

Osiris159 New Member

I was wondering if anybody knows of anywhere to fish for Brown Trout with in an hour of the Tacoma area?

You can e-mail me at flyfisher1592000@yahoo.com

Thanks

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Try Silver Lake by Eatonville. Don't know how big they are but the resort has been raising browns for quite awhile.

MB

3. caddisaction

caddisaction New Member

for us beginners, what would a person use primarily for brown trout or for silver lake for flys? I know wash. lakes .com is saying worms if they arent biting ferociously. Times of day?

Thx caddisaction

4. fly15

fly15 New Member

Depends on the size of fish but I like black woolly buggers and minnow patterns like a white zonker or white crystal bugger.I will usually cast out most of my fly line and troll for about 15 or 20 flips with your fins (f your in a float tube)and than strip it back in farley quickly depending on the time of day and water temp.Or you can work the shore line or drop offs just casting it out and stripping it back in.
    Don't be afraid to fish at night brown trout are most active in low light conditions.There is nothing better than having a big ol brown trout knock the crap out of your woolly bugger.
    If there is a hatch going on besides chironomids like caddis, mayflies or something pretty good size you can use dry flies but usualy you will have to go after them under the surface.If you ever get a chance go try pass lake up north there are some nice browns in there I caught 3 over 20" inches this last winter, but I would fish it in the fall when they are chasing minnows in by the shore.Let us know how you do.GOOD LUCK. :THUMBSUP

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

i've only had the chance to fish for them a few times, but here is what little I know (or think I know)...

Night fishing works well for browns. They tend to really get active around dusk. They also like to hang around structure and ambush their prey. Try large leech patterns (or patterns that immitate bait fish or craw fish).

I've also heard of bigger browns hanging out in the deeper part of lakes and that they respond well to flys stripped in very fast - even during the heat of the day during the summer. One of the keys to locating the big browns if finding the thermocline. Not sure how most people go about this though...

Good luck!

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Don't know about the spring / summer, but I had a ball casting elk hair caddis to rising browns at Silver in September. Just find the spot where they are active, cast to the rise and they come right back and hammer the dry. Night can be excellent, but don't forget the early morning - B4 sunrise.