Bruised Ego...and Shoulder

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I hit the trap range at Kenmore yesterday, first touch of a shotgun since last November. Let's just say I'm a little rusty...but I shall return. I was surprised to see a bit of bruising on my shoulder this morning as I scrubbed whiskers off. I guess I'm getting old...and soft. Maybe I should take the 16...or even the 28...:D

I plan on getting a membership there, finally. They offer 15% discount on everything for members. They also have a members night where you mostly have the place to yourselves.

I plan on hitting it hard this summer to make good use of shells in the uplands this fall and don't forget those ducks...

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I shot a lot of 5 stand there during my years as a member. That sure helps out in most bird shooting except doves.

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Roper, when I start worrying about my score on the range I quit, keeping score ruins all of the fun. I was wondering if you take a daily aspirin? I know I bruise much easier taking those things. Hope you had fun, drop a note and we can meet to shoot. I promise my shooting will make you feel good about your shooting.

4. Islander

Islander Steve

Rick, you need to come over to Whidbey and shoot with me on Thursdays. Not real crowded and our targets won't bruise you as much. :rolleyes:
    Plus we could hit Lone before or after, and I'll make you look real good at trap shooting.

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

Could be gun fit? Too heavy a load?

I tend to shoot 1 ounce1250 fps loads at the range out of 12 gauge guns weighing 6 pound to 7.5 ponds.

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Not sure Marty, it's a Browning 626 with 26" barrels. It ain't light...loads were older target loads 1 1/8 number 8's. Fit seems fair, tho' I favor my deltoid too much, but then I don't have a whole lot of pec either, dang small pocket. I'll try some of my lighter 1 ounce loads next time...

7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    My choices were usually a 1180 fps 1 oz load in the 12 gauge and a 1200 fps 7/8 oz load in the 20 gauge. I reloaded and could pick whatever combination I wished.

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Karl's thought on asprin may be the thing here, Roper. I don't shoot my 12's anymore unless it's on ducks, but I'm either using some AA's in the 20, RST loads in the 28, or my own Cheddite handloads in the .410. They're all too light to cause any problems. Seems to me, though, that there are shooting shirts out there that will accept a recoil pad in the shoulder area.

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Well, it must have been the old loads in the 12. I took my BPS's in 12 and 16 on Saturday and both were fine. The 12 load was 7/8 of lead over 17.5 grains of Red Dot. Even as light as that is, they smashed the birds I hit (which is getting better odds). The BPS's felt like old friends next to the new fancy 626. I guess I'm just a old pump shotgun guy...

Alex, I look at those shirts, Evo Shield, too damned expensive. I'd rather work up lighter loads at home.

10. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    You have whiskers on your shoulders, Huh! Most guys have them on their face. I alays suspected there was something not quite right with you....
    jesse

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Never suspect...know it to be true...:D

12. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    My old man used to glory in reloading steel for waterfowl, and he'd spend weeks researching some reload that'd yield "warp-factor 16" speeds with #4's. Then he'd slip one into my shellbox while I was out setting the deeks. First shot in the old 870, and I'm looking for my shoulder in the next county! Great fun until he realized I hit the bird at about 15 yards dead center! We got one foot, part of the back, one wing, and part of the neck/head/beak arrangement. Those were all the parts we could find!!