Bucktailing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jeff Dodd, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    Yeah, I remember the summer I spent as crew, commercial fishing out of Neah Bay back in the '60s.

We'd be far out on the "prairie" (the area southwest of Tatoosh) and my new-to-the-game skipper was told by the old-timers to always troll through the disturbed waters after a freighter passed through.

We usually found the hand-gurdies bouncing after doing that! :)
  2. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 1
    If your boat won't go 20 knots, you go as fast as you can ;) sometimes "as fast as you can" is perfect bucktailing speed :)
  3. Joepa Joe from PA

That's a good tip. I'll keep that in mind when fishing is slow. I've heard radio reports of guys referring to the 'prairie' . Is that the basic area around blue dot or further west? Thanks
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I've had birds follow the flats boat around when we're running (usually at least 25mph) from spot to spot with no lines out. I used to think they were waiting for us to start fishing again and that they left when they saw us throwing flies and not bait. Since seeing them dive down into the wake to pick things up makes me now think they wait for us to start moving and then follow us looking for the boat to suck up and stun / kill a baitfish in the prop wake. When we stop moving we stop making a chum trail for them and they fly off..
    Same thing probably happens to an even greater extent with a freighter leaving a bigger trail of easy prey sea life behind it.. :)
  5. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    Although this was many years ago, IIRC the prairie was SW of Tatoosh and around 30 or so miles out.
  6. tackleman New Member

Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Bucktailing, as I know it, uses a spinner blade on a clevis in front of the fly. Beads are used so that the end of the blade revolves through the eye on the fly. There's some 'hokus pokus' about the colours of the beads - from glow green, to red, to silver, but the blade is always supposed to travel through the centre of the eye.
    In Tofino we trolled the fly about 15' to 20' back in the propwash on a short (3') leader off of an Airflo Depthfinder 300. Speed was adjusted to have the fly just in the surface to keep the blade wet and rotating.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    [IMG]
    Here's my attempt at a more weedless bucktail. A SS cotter pin is used for the shank and weight with lead wire strips lashed to the bottom of the shank only. The 60deg jig hook style shape to the cotter pin at the front should deflect weeds downwards. The stiff braided wire to the upright trailing hook should keep the only hook bend on the fly higher in the water and further away from that deflected weed. The bend in the shank with the bottom weighting should also make for more of a keel and keep the fly tracking straight with less spinning. Seemed to work well for me on a trial run but since there weren't any visible coho around I wasn't going to try it all day. Would love some feedback on performance from anyone else that ties some up.
  8. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Sweet fly