Bug Book?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Allison, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Allison Banned or Parked

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Can anyone recommend a good bug book? I'd like something with a local angle if possible and good pictures or line drawings so I can start ID'ing bugs. I'll be fishing mostly in the high lakes of the Cascades and the usual places in Eastern Washington in the forseeable future.

TIA.
  2. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Check out Taxon's (a member here) site for a big list of resources. He recommended the book "Aquatic Entomology: the fishermans' and ecologists' guide to insects and their relatives" by W. Patrick McCafferty to me, and I have been using it for a while now. It is quite suitable for most things where you don't need to identify things to Genus and Species, as this book tends to look at things from a bit broader scale (down to family and subfamilies) than other books out there. I guess it depends on how into it you want to go...
  3. Big Tuna Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    Dave Hughes wrote Western Streamside Guide. I think he's done two editions and I've only seen the first, but I think it would meet your needs.
  4. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +112 / 0
    Allison-

If you're looking for a compact durable waterproof spiral-bound field guide that you can conveniently take with you, I'd recommend Hatch Guide For Western Streams by Jim Schollmeyer. It offers a color photo of each covered insect life stage on the left page, and three effective imitations on the right page. Any western flyfisher wishing to match immature and/or adult aquatic insects would benefit from use of this book.

If you're interested in learning about Aquatic Entomology, as opposed to just learning enough to recognize insects and match the hatch, I would recommend Aquatic Entomology: The Fishermens Guide and Ecologists Illustrated Guide to Insects and Their Relatives by W. Patrick McCafferty, illustrated by Arwin Provonsha. It is unquestionably the most complete and highest quality book on general aquatic entomology. It is used as a college level text, and is an outstanding reference, particularly for those interested in getting more than ankle-deep in the subject.

Somewhere in between those two, you will find Guide to Aquatic Invertebrates of the Upper Midwest by R.W. Bouchard, Jr. This identification manual is targeted at students, citizen monitors, and aquatic resource professionals. Extremely well written, it includes illustrations of most aquatic invertebrate orders likely to be encountered in freshwater environments. Larvae of aquatic insect orders are keyed/illustrated to family level. This is a great find for flyfishers interested in entomology, as it is currently available for free download.
  5. Allison Banned or Parked

Right on, thanks guys. My local library system has a couple of those. The field manual will probably be the best for my purposes.
  6. MrP Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    I've enjoyed "An Angler's Guide to Aquatic Insects and Their Imitations" by Hafele and Roederer.

I haven't read the books Taxon recommends so I'm suggesting this title as an addition to his list not necessarily a better choice.