Bug Identification Please

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Mike Wilson, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

While I certainly can not top the above efforts to expand our collective vocabularies I can shed some light on the interaction of the millipede (my mistake to refer to it as a centipede) in question and our trout populations.

It is definitely a terrestrial critter (those that I have seen have been in the leaf duff of the forest floor) I too have seen in our streams. While they have been dead several times I have seen them still alive and crawling on the stream bottom (usually in eddies). Once I found one in the stomach of a stream trout (resident coastal cutthroat) but in general they do not seem to care for the taste of the millipede. Seen trout grab and reject those that have fallen in the water.

Tight lines
    Curt

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Well, given that information on the internet should never be deemed correct, the last or most compelling word is fine by me :beer2:

3. skewy

skewy New Member

Mike, sorry i did not see this one earlier... that looks like a 46 toe'd black bodied yella trimmed milli-chrono-centi-pede.

At least after a few of your 16 once home brews it does...
    - Dave

4. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Cool observation. Millipedes are chemically defended and have few predators.

5. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

My dad is a retired botanist (Southern Oregon University). Once, years ago, I went with him on a field trip to the Kalmiopsis bogs in southern OR. While hiking, we crossed many streams, most of which had these millipedes in them. I was young, and excited about fishing, and thought they might make great bait. My dad told me probably not. If you sniff a live one (a rather intimate thing to do with such a creepy-crawly), you will probably smell a faint odor of almonds--a scent which cyanide is known for. Cyanide. That's what he told me! Amazing the defenses that creatures evolve.

Nitrogen can be difficult forr organisms to metabolize, so in the process they'll do all kinds of things to it to excrete it safely. Thus we end up with things like nicotine, urea, cocaine, cyanide, and many other compounds. Obviously, they have pharmacologic and toxilogic properties!

Tom