Bug Question?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by a_fors, May 6, 2011.

1. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

I am still learning my bugs and hatches, and while on the Yakr today I saw some huge cases. I am not sure if they are salmon flies or golden stones. They were too big to be skwala's. So I thought I would get some good replies on here so here is the pic I took of the case. By the way, fishing was slow, I was down in the canyon and the water had a bit of color to it with not much more than a foot of viz. There were some March Browns coming off, but not a lot of fish rising to them, I lost one fish, but that's how it goes.

View attachment 41172

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

a_fors-

Yes, it is a Pteronarycs (Salmonfly) exuvia. See yours on the left, and a Pteronarcys nymph just beginning to emerge from its exoskeleton on the right.

[​IMG]

3. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

Thanks! That is what I thought it was, I thought it had to be too big to be a Golden.

4. Builder

Builder Member

I've been seeing a few for the last month on Rock Creek too.

5. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

Roger...GREAT entymology site. I just checked it out for the first time. What a wealth of info. Thanks for the effort! Bob

6. Taxon

Thanks, Bob, it's my great pleasure.

Please forgive me for mentioning this, but I believe you meant to say entomology (the study of insects), rather than entymology (which is not an actual word), but is often substituted for etymology (the study of word origins), probably because they all sound so similar.

7. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

no need to apologize...I'd rather be corrected than continue to say it the wrong way!
    On that note, if you ever see me walking around with a visible booger...please let me know it is there so I don't continue looking like an idiot :)
    (some would argue that removing the booger wouldn't stop me from looking like an idiot)

8. Taxon

No problem, Bob. However, others might not react as graciously as you, so I will probably refrain from pointing out vb(s). [​IMG]