Bugmeister

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by baseballandfishing, Oct 14, 2003.

1. baseballandfishing

baseballandfishing New Member

For the October caddis hatch, I have heard the Bugmeister works good as a dry. Can someone provide a recipe for this fly, I have seen pictures of the fly and it looks like it has something black under the elk wing. Also, what sizes work the best?

Thanks
    JOe

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

3. Miller

Miller Member

This pattern is a great one, take your time in tying it and tie a good fly, it isn't a pattern that you will want to tie a lot of. Have had great success with it though. Just my 2 cents.
    tight lines

4. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

You can make peacock herl stonger by using thread brought down and looped like you would for dubbing. Using a dubbing tool on the loop spin the herl into the loop just like when you are dubbing.You can either use flexible cement to hold the herl in place before spinning it all together or use a set of English Hackle pliers and pinch both the thread and the herl in the pliers and put the dubbing tool in the loop of the pliers and spin. This will add strength to the herl as well as make it pop and stand up. I do this with all peacock as well as ostrich body flies.For a real intresting change take 2-3 strands of peacock herl that you sat in the sun for a few days to turn it brown and add in 2 strands of Ostrich in Olive and dub it all together as above.

For those who do not already know this trick. Though I am sure most of you already do. You can make a simple dubbing tool by glueing in a small hook to a cabinet knob. Cost of this home made dubbing tool ran me less the $2 which is much less then the ones in the fly shop.

Use of this tool of course allows you to end up with really tight dubbing and stronger herl with a simple spin of the knob. Its also much faster then turning by hand.

6. Don Perry

Don Perry Member

For the October Caddis tie the abdomen with orange dubbing, floss or foam and then just use the peacock herl for the thorax. You might also want to tie in some pumpkin colored sililegs (or rubber) if you like.