Building a cataraft

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by isaacfab, Feb 10, 2011.

1. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Okay so today I am back at it. On the agenda is to make adjustments for the bays and seats. I am also going to incorporate the suggestion to pin corners of frame with 1/4" bolts.

Okay so to make the adjustments I am going to just pretend like I am fishing and see what is the most comfortable...kind of obvious approach I know. The only thing today of technical significance is to fabricate dry box/cooler holders. I have some aluminum bar stock that I will cut bend then drill holes to feed the straps through.

I do think that the previous post is correct after putting the boxes on the frame this morning I believe I can do without one of the rear cross bars (I might have to spring for a bar seat mount though....). So attached are some pics one of the materials to make the dry box mounting kit and the other of the frames tentative arranged.

I do have a foot rest for the rowers seat but am not sure exactly where I want it yet...hopefully will find that out today.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Issac, where is your rowing seat going to be? When I put my frame together, and it is smaller than yours, I had to make sure that my front box that holds seats was back enough for standing room and yet forward enough to keep my hands and oar handles from banging the seats. When I started I had seats on crossbars and no storage. I then went to boxes with seats atop and pinned them with bars like you've done. I like what you've got going so far and like the suggestions that you are getting from others.

3. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Mumbles,

Thanks for the heads up. My first dimensions would have had me with not enough rowing room.

So here is where I settled for now. The oar towers are mid frame (5'6"). The front box/seat is 24" from the front rail and everything else is done to my personal feel and size (without actually being on water). The attached pic is the setup that will make its way to the river. I'm not sure what the rower will sit on yet...just the box or maybe a low back seat. I will also probably replace the rear box (action packer) with a rail mounted swivel seat. Didn't finish the box mounts yet but am close,the kids were not having it :)

4. Ed Call

Media:
    With my boat rigged for a rower and two passengers, one fore, one aft, the 14' boat is a bit crowded. So far it has done pretty well though. I call it my big boy cataraft, but really it is my cataraft training wheels. Maybe some day I'll have a really big water boat for recreational floating and one my 14' for fishing. The first day I had the boxes mounted and the girls side by side seats on the box up front I banged the crap out of my knuckles. Moved my seat, oarlocks and foot bar back 2" and their box and its two cross bars forward 2" and now I like the setup and balance. I find that the center baffle dividing my tubes is right at the forward edge of the cooler on which I sit and row. The texture of the cooler has held me comfortably in place, as I've not yet added any padding. I think I might add some for this year though. Love the progress. Make sure that you get a good test run in to make sure that you feel balanced.

5. matalpa

matalpa Member

Mumbles,

Here are a few pics for you (I hope.)

View attachment 38902
    View attachment 38903
    View attachment 38904

The single arm casting brace was not sturdy enough, but the double arm brace works really well.

The holes in the boards on the cargo extensions are so I can get to the air valves. I thought about reversing the tubes, but settled on this. The outcast seatback organizers are great for storing stuff and keeping rods out of the way. I think a big weakness of rafts is the lack of storage, and these help.

Isaac- just eyeballing your frame, which looks cool, by the way. It seems like the frame is really shallow in depth compared to most of the frames I have seen. I am curious how you will like the seat height/oar lock configuration. I think the seat height might be higher than you want (or the oar locks too low.)

Matalpa

6. Ed Call

Media:
    Matalpa, did that cat. Much different than my narrow boat setup. My tandem seats up front only fit my little fishy chicks, when the big boys are in the boat it is one fore and one aft. Nice!

7. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Okay so I'm back at it today. Last week I finished most of the adjustments to the seating and the rest of the frame. Today I got the lean bars installed (4' kind of big but I like them...), anchor system (something I developed with some pulleys from the store), the floor, and got it all up on the frame. I have the boxes/seats up in the pics, it looks like I used all of the cross bars. From here I need to accessorize...I have some options for rod holders/tackle storage but I will need to think it over...

Also the box mounts where easy with some 1" webbing and some aluminum flat stock (2 1/2" wide x 2') bent to the box or cooler contour, they are not pictured here. They are MUCH cheaper than the $70 from NRS kits (cost me about 10$ a piece for everything).

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    You need to make sure your anchor is centered (definitely not in the first 2 pics - cant tell from the 3d). If you try to anchor that boat with an off-center anchor you will be walking all over the place.

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Still liking what you are doing. Some thoughts, only thoughts! Putting some side boards for stepping into and out of the boat still might be a good plan. To minimize weight, maybe just spanning both sides across three cross rails, the end rails and the paired cross rails that pin the dry boxes. I was going to suggest angling the lean bar back a bit in the first photo, but the last one looks like you've already thought of that! Might suggest a U shaped anchor support bar in the back, rather than a single bar that might not tolerate torsion forces as well as a multi point attachment system. Also, I see the rear most pulley, then one rear of the rower seat. I think you might find pulling from there tough. Mounting a third pulley forward of the rower, maybe on the right side of the rear crossbar for the front box, that is about where mine is and it is easy to grab. My friend Jeff has his anchor rope tied to the top of his anchor mast, from that he hangs his anchor on a pulley. Rope goes up to another pulley fixed on the oar mast. This reduces the pull weight of the anchor by half, but will require more anchor rope. He swears by this configuration and I trust my friend. That is how I mounted mine too. Will the laced in mesh net floor cause the drop down rails to sag when load bearing? Might want a crossbar down low in a couple of spots to keep it nice and tight. Looks like a fun project. Reminds me of some of the assembly of my boat a while back. I love projects like that as they get planned out and take shape.

10. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Thanks for the input! Yes I guess the pics are a bit deceiving the anchor is not centered....but it is close and I can change that fairly easily (thanks for the heads up Rob). Mumbles thanks for the extra pulley idea, I'll do that first thing tomorrow (putting one in front of the rower, not sure where yet). Maybe a U shaped system will make its way onto the boat at some point. Where did you get the PVC material for the side steps on your boat? I would like to do that but haven't done any research on them yet. I have done some cross bracing of the floor already and it seems to keep fairly tight (have not done an entire day yet but did stand on it while working on the boat for a few hours today with no issues).

Just for the record it does not seem prohibitively heavy yet...I can still easily lift it by my self with the tubes on (not loaded). However it is not light for sure but I'm happy with how much it weights for now.

11. Ed Call

Media:
    PVC lumber at a home improvement store or one that carries synthetic decking. Getting some with texture is good. Getting PVC is better than composite if you are going to cut it because the composite (partially made with sawdust I think) absorbs more water. You are welcome on the pulley thing, no sense in turning around and killing yourself if you can have it in front of you with easy reach. I think the centering of the anchor and U type bar, or a single bar like the NRS anchor bar assembly (which is what I have) will work wonders, give you enough space to tie the end of your rope off, hang the pulley that your achor will hang from and hang the fixed bar pulley too. Awesome project thus far. You must be a strong dude, my boat just wears me out tugging and dragging it around.

12. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Okay last post here. I took the rig out to the Yakima this weekend (as setup in the last pic) and was happy with the performance. A few things I would say to think about for anyone wanting to build one.

-these things are really fast....and easy to move around but not so easy to slow down
    -Kind of obvious but launching takes about four times as long as a drift boat with all the extra rigging
    -I like the mesh floors but can readily see why others would not...you get wet with them
    -rowers seat height is critical to comfort as is oar lock location
    -Gear management is a challenge, I used dry bags hung on the lean bars but well thought out rod holders/storage are also a must
    -My boat without the seats or floor is just shy of 270lbs, much lighter than the DB but moving around takes some planning ahead
    -Not sure how long the glued PVC tubes will hold up but they did great this weekend

I don't think a project like this is ever done and I will continue to tinker with is as things become obvious but I'm sure there will be plenty of trips on this boat in the near future. Thanks to everyone for the help and input.

13. matalpa

matalpa Member

Isaac,

I will be interested to see what you come up with for rod storage. I think that is one of the toughest things on a raft. I tried mounting fish-on holders and also did a pvc tube strapped to one side. Both sucked. We ended up buying the seatback storage gizmos from outcast and they work pretty well. I keep rigged rods stuffed in the main compartment and angled to one side or the other- usually inboard. That seems to be the one place they are out of the way when there are 2 people casting, but still easy to get to while under way.

matalpa