Building a Rod Carrier for your vehicle

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Andrew Shoemaker, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Has anyone ever built a rod carrier to secure to your roof rack? I've seen the metal boxes online for like $600 and even the rod tubes seem expensive. Wondering if anyone has built their own on top of car transport carrier. Did you use PVC, did you weld metal, etc, etc? I want to make my own for my subaru.

2. I used PVC, then epoxied a toolbox the the back so the reels sit inside it. If you do the toolbox, make sure it opens down so it stays open when you are sliding your rods in. I wish it was light out, I would post a pic. I'll try to remember tomorrow.

I've had mine on for two years and so far they've been durable and work great.

Andrew Shoemaker likes this.
  3. A pic would be awesome!!

4. A friend used schedule 40 PVC pipe to make a rod carrier that he attached to the boat rack on his pickup canopy. He used it to carry rods strung up while fishing, but it wasn't secure enough to prevent theft.

Sg

5. I've been looking into doing something like this as well. The typical rod mounts aren't secure enough for freeway driving and I hate breaking rods down between trips. I'd be really interested to see what you come up with.

6. Did you line the PVC with any type cloth? The one thing I can't seem to figure out.

7. I didn't line the PVC with cloth. I wanted to, but couldn't figure out a way to do it.

So far, no damage or scuffing to my rods. This thing is tacky and ugly, but damn is it functional.

8. I came across one like the picks but no tool box and he used a bigger PVC and had foam in it. he just used a bungie cord. I like the tool box better but maybe that will give you a idea on how to get something in it to help protect the rods. And I don't know how deep the foam was I could just see it when he was loading his rods after he had fished the spot I was stoping to check out. I remembered it because I thought it was a awesome idea. But Travis had the right idea with the tool box. He also used bungie cords to tie it down to the roof rack.

Travis love the paint job. And the tool box idea hope the foam gave you some help. I don't know if your PVC pipe is big enough but it might give you a idea.

Travis Bille likes this.
  9. Is the object here to travel with a fully rigged fly rod?

10. IMG_0863.JPG IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG Here is a simple design I use once I get to the water. I want no part of having a fully rigged rod on top of my rig at freeway speeds. But once I get there I string the rod and drive up and down the stream without having to break it down again. This took about an hour to cobble together in my shop and it has been so successful that I think I'll build a Mark II model-for two rods of course. I haven't driven over 60mph with this setup but the rod was stable at that speed with no whipping around. Not sure I would want to try it much faster than that.

I built the roof rack to replace the factory model that was metal and sloped on the sides. The hardwood replacement is flat instead of curved and a pontoon boat has a better chance of staying centered with the small stubs on the end. The rod rack can be removed by taking out 4 wood screws. My only cost was about $3.00 for the Velcro. Cheap thrills. Ive

11. I just clamp mine in my snowboard rack. It holds about 4 or 5 rods, locks, and I already them.

12. With a snowboard rack though someone could just screw down the rod seat and snatch the reel. Plus, for me, Id like to figure out a way to attach to my factory subaru rack a fully enclosed carrier to keep dust and debris off my outfit and keep it from whipping around in the wind at highway speeds. The snowboard rack seems like a good option for jumping around from spot to spot for once you get to the water. I'm just one of those people who hates spending time setting my rod up once I get to the water

13. uploadfromtaptalk1394680885908.jpg this is my rod carrier. It protects everything really well. :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Bill Aubrey and Eric Denny like this.
  14. I did it so I could drive between fishing spots without breaking down my rod, putting it under my wiper blade, or having my dog stomp on it in the car

15. Jason,

I'm jealous as hell. I wish all the time I still had my VW camper.

16. Oh come one...

Where's the fun in that?
    Its not like you guys are fighting trying to fit a 13'6" Spey into a coupe!!!!

I think its easier getting the float tube in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unless you have a solution for that!

17. Pump it up at the lake?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

18. PVC will scratch the epoxy guide wraps. I learned this the hard way on a prized Winston. To prevent the rod from rattling around and scuffing, consider some cheap pipe insulation on the inside, like this:

[​IMG]

Bill Aubrey, Rob Ast and Eric Denny like this.