building a rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Greg Gilliland, Feb 10, 2004.

1. newfly

newfly New Member

I would also highly reccomend Greg's. I have built 2 rods at his shop using seconds and I love them both. This is a great option if you are building your first rod. PLUS, I firmly believe in supporting the local independent shops when possible.

Also, does anyone know of a shop selling rod building equipment in the Bellevue/Issaquah area. I need some thread and glue and cant justify the extra trip up north.

2. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    Creekside carries some thread, not much selection, but some. I don't know what kind of epoxy you are looking for but they also have 5 min epoxy (I don't really like this stuff, I prefer the 30). Well, I hope this helps.

Sly

3. Box Car

Box Car New Member

Hey Guys,
    You can still get great rod building supplys from Schoffs.

http://www.shofftackle.com/

A local business as well, albeit online these days!

Happy Casting

4. newfly

newfly New Member

Thanks for the info. You are right about the limited selection at Creekside (about a 1/2 dozen threads). I think it's unfortunate about Shoff's being only online. You lose that personal touch and loyalty of your customer base.

5. JRSly

JRSly Oncorhynchus clarki clarki

Media:
    If you don't mind the wait they would probably order you some, they are really good with things like that. Or you could just do some shopping on the old computer.

Sly

6. darik

darik guy without a clever handle

Media:
    I was going to post a new thread, but this one seems to be answering most of my questions.
    I've never built a rod, and just got interested in the idea of doing it. I want to build a 4pc 5wt for backpacking around with, and later a 3wt rod.

I'd planned to browse the online rod building shops and educate myself real quick and get something in my price range (low). I started looking at the blanks that Cabela's has, but I think I can find better blanks for a lower price.

Do I really need to get the motorized drying racks and stuff like that or can I get away with just the hardware, glue, varnish and such?
    I'm thinking I should also get either a book or an instruction video as well, since I've never even seen it done.

Just wanted to see if I'm on the right track so far...

7. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Go on up to Gregs, and he has a list of Rainshadow Factory Seconds that are very nicely priced.

As to epoxy and the drying motor, you don't need a motor for drying if you turn the blank 1/4 turn every 15 minutes for the first 2 or 3 hours.

Don't use varnish, while it is easier, it needs to be redone every year or so to stay in top shape. Epoxy never needs to be redone.

Rob