Building Rods for my Family

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Runejl, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    Hey Guys,

It's getting to the Christmas season and I have been thinking of ideas for what I could do for my family.

One of the things that I would like to do is build each a flyrod. When I was first born my great Grandfather built me a fiberglass flyrod. My name was on the rod and also the title "Little Bugger". I was fortunate enought to be born before he died as only a handfull of the older family members have these rods.

One thing I am certain of is that my Great Grandpa (who I cant remeber ever meeting) had no idea that his creative act would be the impetus for my lifes passion.

My little Brother and Sisters didnt receive these rods as my Great Grandpa passed away before they were born. I would love to be able to share my passion with them.

I am looking for recommendations on rod blanks. I am hoping to keep the rod build under $200. Also it would be awesome to be able to get blanks that are about the same color as what my great grandfather built on; A dark maroon/slightly brown.

Thanks for any advice youguys might have.

thanks,
    Josh

2. Finfollower

Finfollower New Member

I think that's an awesome idea. Wish I could help more than just moral support. Best of luck to you in this project!

3. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you want to send me a PM and let me know what you are looking for i'm sure I could put a package together for you. As far as blanks go I would go with a tiger eye private label blank. That come in the color you are looking for. They all run under $60 bucks a blank. Cheaper if you are ok with a 2pc blank.
    Have you ever built a rod before?

4. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Rainshadow blanks and American Matrix blanks have a lot of options in your price range. Quality cork and nice reel seats are areas that can cost a bit, but there are lots of good options out there. Also check with Ron at All About the Fly or take Tyler up on his recommendations.

Blanks can be ordered in colors or even painted, but the later is something I've never personally tried. I know that Mudhole has many different colored blanks, at least in the gear rod blanks.

Sounds like a great present for you and your family! :thumb:

5. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I have built one rod about 10 years ago. So I will be learning all over. The only part I am not really confident in is finishing the wraps, but I think that I could get it figured out. I will be building at least six rods for this project so by the end I should be getting it figured out.

Ty I will check out those Tiger Eye's and let you know. Thanks for your help.

I will post pics of the rod my Great Grandpa built later today.

6. Grant Richie

Grant Richie Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have to second the Rainshadow suggestion. Last winter I picked up RX 8+ 7 weight blanks for half price and it became my favorite rod. Unfortunately I fell and broke the butt section in half on Saturday. I had a RX 8 6 weight in my rig for backup. I had only used this rod for fishing dries this summer, but it handled heavy multiple fly rigs and landing several steelhead without a problem. In the future I think I will lean towards the RX 8 since it is such a nice feeling rod at a good price.

7. FLGator

FLGator Member

I recommend giving Dan Craft (Dan Craft Enterprises) a call to discuss your ideas. He is a wonderful guy to do business with, very competative pricing and offers some exceptionally designed blanks. He'll spend all the time necessary with you on the phone with no obligation and truly listens to your needs and wants. Can't say enough good things about my dealings with him in the past or his products.