Building Sage 7136 Z-Axis?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by troutangler, Jan 14, 2009.

1. troutangler

troutangler Member

I'm thinking about building a Sage 7136 Z-Axis Two-hander.

I want to build it to factory specs and have a Sage warrantee when I'm done.

Which suppliers should I be shopping for the blank and components?

I could just drive up to Angler's Workshop in Woodland (from my home here in Battle Ground) and get everything, but I thought I would check here first.

Thanks,
    Troutangler

2. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Hey troutangler. Id say if your able to make the drive to Anglers workshop Id go for it. That way youll get to check out all the options you have for components first hand. Sometimes ordering everything can be kind of tough unless you know exactly what you want. Being able to give everything a good look over and see your options would be a good thing. Good luck on your build. Great rod. Kevin

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Dude, I wish I could drive to Anglers. I buy most of my stuff from them. They are the best to deal with.

Wayne

4. SSPey

SSPey Member

you don't need to build the rod to Sage specs to have a warranty on the blank, so go ahead and change the guide sizes and/or spacing, the reel seat, the grip size and configuration ... as long as you don't get really weird when building (such as putting the grip and seat on the tip section), then Sage will take care of you in the event of breakage. have fun with your project!

5. troutangler

troutangler Member

Steve,

You've got me thinking about 'all the options' now.

So gang, if you were going to order this rod as a 'custom build' what components/options would you elect?

Fancy reel seat, different color guide wraps, better stripping guides....?

I haven't gone to Angler's yet, so your suggestions could very well influence my purchasing decissions.

Thanks for your input,
    Troutangler

6. SSPey

SSPey Member

I'd change these things, my preferences, but may give you ideas

1. make the handle longer with a more definite "upturn" at the end, as a thumb brace

2. use SIC stripping guides if you'll be shooting line

3. consider reel seat weight, placement, and up/down lock options so the rod balances with the reel I expect to use

7. FT

FT Active Member

In addition to what Steve listed, I'd use an SIC top on it instead of a loop top because the SIC tops shoot better and don't groove like the loop tops do. I'd also use whatever thread color I happened to like with the blank's color.

8. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I enjoy turning my own grips. I buy the cork rings, using some of the colored and rubberized rings to make a pattern. I glue them together on a threaded rod using washers and nuts to tighten them together. I then place the rod in my drill and use sandpaper to shape the grip. I built a stand to hold the drill and another for the end of the threaded rod, so now it is like a lathe. I am finishing a rod now that is a Lamiglas Perigee, which is bright green with gold accents. I did a grip with green cork accents. I used green thread with gold trim wraps for the guides. I'm liking it now, hopefully will look good when complete.

Wayne

9. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

I'm interested in hearing what you end up with for components and how you like it.
    I bought that blank on ebay about a year ago but haven't started it yet.
    I'm still building my first rod and going through the learning process on a Dan Craft 10' 10wt.
    I'll probably build at least one more rod before I tackle that one.

10. troutangler

troutangler Member

Michael,
    I'm actually still looking for a blank.
    Sage raised their prices and the Z-Axis 7136 is now listed at $400.

I was at Angler's yesterday, checking out components and I'm thinking about putting a Pacbay 'platinum' colored reel seat on mine (to match the 'slate gray' Ross CLA 6 reel that I have my eyes on). Then I would do the guide wraps in a similar matching color.

On the other hand, there have been a few used rods sold recently for around $500, so I'm considering going that route too.

If you know anyone that wants to sell a blank or used rod, please let me know.

Troutangler

11. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

I honestly can't remember for sure what I paid but I think it was 290.00 so guess I did alright.
    I'm still such a rookie builder that building that rod intimidates me a little.
    I think I need to do another less expensive rod first to improve my skills.
    If I hear of any deals I'll let you know.

12. troutangler

troutangler Member

Yes, I'd say you did good on your blank purchase.
    But just the same, you don't want to mess it up.

Just take your time, make nice clean clean guide wraps and make sure to mix and apply your epoxy finish, so it turns out nice and smooth.

I find guide wrapping and finishing the most challenging part of any build and that having a a way to rotate the rod horizontally, while the finish is setting up, makes a big difference in terms of getting a smooth even finish (that and not applying too much finish on the wraps to begin with).

If you are worried about this part, you might want to practice on an old rod blank or something, rather than build an entire new rod.

Troutangler

13. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

Right on Troutangler.
    I've re-wrapped so many guides on my Dan Craft 10 wt switch that I wasn't happy with I've almost used 100 yards of thread.
    I'm just about ready to do the finish now but do have a good set up for slow rotation so we'll see how she goes.