Burkhiemer

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Chris Johnson, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

8152-4 likes the 7-8 fall favorite 70 if you like a light load, if you like a heavier load try the 8-9 70' the rod loves them both...

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

No, it was another buddies rod, and I totally agree, sweetest rod I've cast. To bad you couldn't make it, but I can't think of a better excuse!

3. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I have the 9143 (that I got in a swap with Paul) , and even though it`s a great rod , it`s been relegated to special duty . It`s my Thompson stick - period . The rod will overpower most of the fish I encounter up north , unless I start spending more time on the Skeena .

Funny thing about this rod though , even though I`ve never strung up a line on it that she has`nt liked , I`ve yet to put a line on it that she loves . Any suggestions ? The lines I`ve tried are the 8/9 Delta Long , SA XLT 8/9 , SA Classic 9 wt , Delta 9/10 , and a CND 9/10 . I`ve not tried any skagit or scandi lines on it yet .

I`ll have this rod out on the T tomorrow , and I know where there is a very large fish lurking (as of Thursday) . Here`s hoping .

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Brian, if you can (well for that matter even find) the next size up XLT I think you'll find that rod 'rocks.' The 9143 needs to be slightly 'over lined.' Surprised the Delta 9/10 didn't sing.

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Thanks Fred .
    The problem with the Delta that I have , is that it`s an old , 1st generation line that has the rope-like running line . The weight is good , but the casts get bogged down by the thickness of the running line . I`ve thought about chopping the running line , putting a loop on the rear end of the belly portion of the line , and looping it onto any of the other running lines I already own .

But with the Thompson season running down , now is not the time for experimentation - as much as I enjoy doing that sort of thing .

6. T Dave

T Dave Member

Brian, burkie does recomend the delta 9-10. I had that line, and in a few other sizes and found the stock running line cable-like. Got great results chopping them off and splicing in airflo ridgeline running line # 30. Very slick and no annoying bump.

That said, if I was looking to get a new line for that rod,the Vector 9/10 @ 60' and 650 grains would be the one. Superb lines and the stock running line is very nice

7. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

don't like deltas never have.. their loops are ugly I much preferred the big old wedge shape of the windcutters... I have had a 9143-3 for about 12 years and rarely use it anymore and i cannot imagine a time where it would do something that a 13'3" rod wouldn't do well enough. That said i cannot remember casting a line that the 9143-3 didn't love!! 7-8-9, 8-9-10 and 9-10-11 windcutters 8-9 and 9-10 deltas 9-10 midspey 9/10 Winter authority 55. the list goes on.

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

If the problem is 'just' the shooting line cut off the head ( 2 or 3 inches below the end of the taper) and install a loop. You can get very good 'pre-looped' shooting lines to replace "The Rope." That said, the question, given the age of the line: "Is it even worth the trouble?"