Bush bunnies

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by flatheadmatt, Apr 6, 2011.

1. flatheadmatt Member

Alberton MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    more of a rant than anything, but what is up with guys feeling the need to sit on the bank and watch you fish. I had a guy back his truck in, drop the tailgate and proceed to sit there for at least a half hour and watch me fish (while eating lunch). I always thought that was kinda rude. If your gonna watch me at least come down and say hi. I fish to get away from people. Theres something s#$tty about someone standing there staring at you while your tryin to get in a groove......he then proceeded to go upstream to fish a run a mile up....
  2. stewart dee Guest

Take it as a complement. Some are learning and looking for you to invite them into the water for some pointers. Some are the Game Dept. (had that happen a couple times). Ask them if they want an autograph next time, with a smile = that will break the ice. My favorite is to turn around and say "what a monster grab" and then go fish somewhere else. Rest assure that guy will pound the water you just fished:rofl:
  3. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Don't fish near a road? Seriously, if you fishing on a well traveled road or on a non-sleeper spot, expect people....
  4. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    your lucky..

he could have taken out his banjo, started playing and giving you that funny stew D. smile....

or low holed you...

lol...
  5. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    He may have been a hard worker on his lunch break, enjoying the wizzardry of a well-executed spey cast. (Every good one felt like magic to me for the first few years.) Take it as a complement.
  6. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,749 / 0
    I am sure he knew he was pissin' you off. WTF?

The simple answer is to not fish where someone can sit on their tailgate and gawk at yours.
  7. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +677 / 0
    No worrys mate, at least he wasn't laughing was he ?
  8. Ryan Nathe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I would take it as a compliment. Once, back in my trout fishing days, I was playing a nice trout and a guy pulled over on the canyon road and watched me play it in and release it. He honked his horn a few times and drove off. I thought it was a cool moment. If I was eating lunch I can think of few things I would want to watch more than a well executed spey cast over moving water.
  9. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +333 / 5
    In the hang gliding & paragliding world, those 'watchers' are called "Wuffos" - a condensed version of the watchers' endless questions of, "What's that for?"

Free-flight pilots soon learn that wuffos, though they can be annoying, are best tolerated and largely ignored. If you try to confront them and drive them away from you, they can get pissy and do things like sit in the middle of launch, stand and curse you while you are trying to assess flight conditions, and generally become even more of a nuisance.

I imagine fly fishing wuffos could be similarly problematic (instead of blocking launch, I imagine them throw rocks into the water you're working). So best bet may be to simply nod politely, smile and then ignore them.
  10. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    How about this one....

I had Frank Moore watch me fish the boat hole for 10 minutes then proceed to scream at me from the road not to walk on the spawning bed. Obviously he hadn't been down there in awhile because the inside spawing bed had been washed out from January's flood. Still, I didn't know whether I should cherish that moment of be ashamed. After all, how many people get the chance to be yelled at by an 80 year old legend. I'll take what I can get. ;)
  11. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    I don't mind it when people watch me. I actually find it drives me more to show off- throw tighter loops, do a beauty mend, and then if it works out, hook, fight, and land a fish- makes me feel all pro in front of them. Gives me that "Eff ya!" feeling, haha.
  12. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    Did you try turning and winking at him?
  13. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Just one guy? Come on down to Lincoln Park in the summer, you can have a complete gallery of individuals walking up into your backcast one after the other. Did he start throwing rocks where you were fishing? Come on down to Lincoln Park, some people don't want us to hurt the fish. Did he throw sticks for his dog to retrieve into the area you're fishing even though dogs are not (1) off leash or (2) on the beach? Come on down to Lincoln Park...

The guy was a fisherman who enjoyed watching people fish. And there is nothing more beautiful than a fly fisherman, spey or single handed, throwing out a tight loop. You're in Montana where there are many miles between people in most circumstances. Maybe OMJ will see the thread and throw his comments into the pool. Anyway, if you're ever in Seattle come on down to Lincoln Park.
  14. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    Did it ever occur that maybe he was enjoying the scenery and you just happened to be there? Were you fishing there because it holds lots of fish or if it looked like a great place to spend some time and perhaps hook a fish? Lots of times, I have wanted to fish in an exact spot where someone was and rather than bother them or horn in on them, I've spent some time just watching to see if a fish would rise before I made a move. Could have been many things other than watching you fish.
  15. stewart dee Guest

You know this one time...................... we have pics of Golfy and Merc using a goat with a............................. in his no-no place.

You wear tight fitting waders?

Fuck I need some sun!
  16. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Do the booty dance. Most people will leave quick, if not you know you've got someone who will buy you drinks later :)
  17. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +677 / 0
    most people will only watch you until their buddy has gained entry to you vehicle and made of with the valuables, after that they generally leave !!! This forum is filled with parnoided fly fishers,you guys need to chill out ,seek total elightenment,or something as most of you guys are way to nervous to be having any fun.
  18. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    That happens when you're fishing the mouth of Petty Creek.
  19. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    I agree, I don't like it when I'm watched. Instead of feeling like a pro, I get self conscious. But that's probably because I suck at speycasting and over the course of a half an hour I'm bound to flub more than a few casts. I get it in my head that they're thinking, "what the f*** is this kid doing? that's not holding water."
  20. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Maybe he was hoping you'd fish through the run and let him in but you were parked there and he was polite so he ate his sandwich and thought f'it they're rooted there, I'll go upstream...2 sides to a story that's all I'm saying.

Dave