Butcher 3/0 Kelson

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +493 / 0
    My first attempt at a Butcher, Kelson's version. Been working on it over the last week and finally finished it, Yeah!! Hope you like it... Thanks for looking.

Mark DSCN2298.JPG DSCN2292.JPG
  2. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +381 / 1
    that's incredible, wow!
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +741 / 0
    awesome colors on that one
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Stunning, Mark. Nice that you show both sides, most tyers don't.
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks guy's, there's still some things I need to work on and the picture isn't very good color wise, the first color (seal fur) is really light claret, but it looks purple in the photo, something else I need to work on.
  6. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +741 / 0
    Yes, also if you look at the bottom picture and zoom in there is a single hackle barb right above the hook point that is slightly askew. Boy do you have a long way to go.:rolleyes:
  7. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks for pointing that out Pat, I can't believe I missed that one.......It has now been taken care off.:)
  8. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +931 / 1
    Mark,
    I have held off posting a comment on your Butcher 3/0 Kelson because I didn't quite know how to go about mentioning the fly's shortcomings lest I be called "picky".:) Thankfully, Pat stepped up and had the fortitude to do so thus making it easy for the rest of us. :) That errant hackle barb really grated on me.
    Such a beautiful tie. Thanks Mark.
    Jack
  9. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks Jack, as I was reading your post I was preparing myself for a list of things I'd done wrong..... I was happy to hear it was just that errant barb, sounds like it was not liked by alot of folks.:)
    Mark