Butt Cap Replacement

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by train011, Mar 8, 2011.

1. train011

train011 New Member

There is probably a thread out here somewhere that talks about this but I cannot find it.

I am trying to replace the aluminum butt cap on my reel seat with another one but have conflicting reports on how to remove it. The two that I have heard most (trying not to damage anything, or remove anything other than the cap) are heat from a lighter, or boiling it. Does anyone have any other guidance or thoughts on which one is best.

Thanks, Logan

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I would do the boil trick for a more controlled and even heat. If you're just working on the extreme end of the grip (butt cap) there is little risk to the rest of your rod. Wrap it in a plastic baggie, hold it in the water for 30-60 seconds, see if it's loose, repeat until success. Sometimes when applying heat via flame you can get discoloration of the remainder of the reel.

3. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

You can also use a heat gun on low. Wrap all but the cap in a towel and slowly heat until the cap pops off. Hope it is not a struble, they are a bear to take off.

4. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Both sound like good advise to me. Good luck and tell us which one you decided on and how it worked so that if it ever comes up again, there will be a thread.

5. train011

train011 New Member

Thanks guys. I will try the boiling trick first as this sounds the least distructive place to start. I was also worried about the flame discoloring the rest of the metal. I will let you all know...

6. train011

train011 New Member

I used the boiling water trick with the zip-lock bag over it. Took a few 30 second dips and a quick pop with a butter knife and it was off quick. Thanks guys.

7. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Very cool, glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting results