" Buy a shot gun"

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mark Walker, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Let's put the political shit in your pocket and not on the forum.

Danielocean likes this.
  2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
  3. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Video is very funny. My take on this has always been, the best thing for defense of a burglar/prowler is a Pump action shotgun. All you need to do is cycle the action, and they will run away.

Tyler Axel and Alex MacDonald like this.
  4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Hablamos shotgun aqui!!!

5. Tyler Axel

Tyler Axel Buenos Hatches Ese

Media:
    Video was funny... But I will play devil's advocate because I'm just so good at it ;)

Ol' Joe Biden just barely missed the mark.... A short barrel pump action shotgun is the best home defense weapon you can have. OO buck shot will stop ANY intruder, short of someone wearing serious body armor. The sound of racking the slide on a pump shotgun is more intimidating than any other firearm. They are easy to use with little instruction despite what that video showed. Apparently someone told all those girls to shoot from the hip and throw the weapon on the ground as soon as they pull the trigger. Most defensive shotguns will hold 7 or 8 rounds in the tube which is plenty, and you can constantly replace the rounds you are cycling through. You don't need the range that an AR provides while inside your home, and the ability of the round to travel far beyond your target can be dangerous. And you can buy some solid defensive shotguns in the $300 range. You aren't even in the AR conversation at $300. My conclusion = compared to a defensive shotgun, an AR is a horrible choice for home defense. So listen to ol' droopy dog Joe and go buy a shotgun!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    well, yes and no, both: scatterguns aren't all that easy for a small lady to handle, given the recoil, and especially with heavy loads like double O and slugs. Much more accurate with an AR-type platform. But, you're absolutely correct on the issue of velocity and range! We have `em both, along with assorted pistols and revolvers. We used to use flechette rounds frequently in the jungle, and every now and again, I see these things on the shelf, too. close range and some really nasty shit-make you into a pincushion like RIGHT NOW!!! But they didn't have the recoil of the double-O.

7. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    That's some scary shit, man. Can civilians buy those rounds?

8. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

NRA once did an article on alternative rounds for the 12ga pump gun and the damage they would do at close range. Std 2-3/4" 00 buck has (I think) 9 .30cal pellets. Go to 3" mag shells you get 12 .30 cal pellets. There are other interesting loads as well. Like (one) 0 buck or just plain buck shot. Smaller pellets, but a lot more of them. These are also available in six packs, rather than having to purchase a full box. And then there are 1-1/8 oz rifled slugs. These are some serious shit! So, what exactly are these "fleshet rounds" and where can we get them? :)

9. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    They shoot lots of wee darts:
    [​IMG]

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    That's bullshit... I hadn't even weighed in on this target rich discussion. You didn't call me out by name, but I know what you were thinking! ;)

11. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

No thanks. If I have to shoot someone, I don't want to later hear from their lawyer about all the pain & suffering I caused by sticking them with a dozen darts. I don't want them getting up, ever. Period!

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Thanks for your off target opinion. Don't quote me by saying you know what I'm thinking, because you don't. You are entitled to your opinion, making guesses and assumptions. Stating what you know, when false, is still false. Have a great day trying to figure out what I'm thinking about right now.

13. psycho

psycho Active Member

Those little darts will rip you to shit, when they start tumbling after entry there is not much left behind them.:D

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Ok Ed, my mistake... I thought you had a sense of humor. That said, how do you know I don't know what you are thinking? I could and you would never know.

15. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Ed, for some reason Jack Nicholson's character's line in the movie "As Good as it Gets" comes to mind...

"I think of a man and take away reason and accountability."

It just popped into my head, weird, huh?

16. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    They're hard to find, but yes, they're available. and believe me, nobody bitches about the pain and suffering they cause-well, the heirs, maybe, but then again, they're not the ones being shot, either. We used `em to deal with the VC who sometimes wore our vests. Went right through that simple body "armor", and like Psycho says, rip you to shit.

17. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    I've seen the results of using flechette rounds from a 12 gauge on human beings. There is no worry about being sued by the survivors. Alex, if you ever spot those sweet little things for sale somewhere, shoot me a PM. I'd love to have several boxes in my inventory......you know, for ducks and such.

speyfisher and plaegreid like this.
  18. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Yeah well, include me in on that too. You just never know when something like that might come in handy. For ducks & such. :D