Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Buyer's Beware!!!

Boats 
7K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  veilside180sx 
#1 ·
All,
I'm not normally the type who airs his business but this is something that I don't want to see happen to anyone else. I thought I was over it until I came upon a forum today on another site where some poor soul was "taken" (just like me) by the same outfit.

Last May I thought I purchased a cataraft boat frame from an outfit in North Bend, OR (White Water Fabrication). I had seen their boats on the water over the years and saved my pennies until the day I was ready to make the purchase. Spoke to the "owner" on the phone-a guy named James Haworth who told me that they had a bunch of the frames bent up and would ship once he received my check. Being the trustworthy jackass that I am, I sent him a cashiers check for the whole enchelata ($1,400). He told me the frame would be ready in 4 weeks. After 7 months, multiple lies and no return phone calls7, I wound up having to take him to small claims court (not a licensed business) where I was successful in getting the nod from the judge. That being said, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than ever seeing my money again.

Long story short, BEWARE. If you, or anybody you know is thinking about doing business with this SOB, do yourself a favor and think again.

I guess I'm just a dumb Montanan who is used to doing business on a man's word. Learned my lesson and don't want to see anybody else get took.
Kelly

See less See more
#8 ·
I assume he or any common law spouse has no regular income that can be garnishee'd (sp?)?

My dad and I did a roadtrip from Edmonton/AB to Eugene/OR in 1998 for couple thou engine build never produced. Found the lawyer that prosecuted him the 3 prior times successfully and found out his common law wife had a law enforcement related position……She was VERY embarrassed when her wages got garnished to pay her boyfriend’s settlement. After doing our homework we confronted him at his place and she wrote a check right then that DID clear (we were doubtful). He was still out some parts but considered that small price overall (ignoring trip cost).

Good luck. Was internet involved and/or US mail? I know US state DA's and a few groups take internet crime and mail fraud very seriously. I'm sure others on this site can inform you far better than I on those routes/avenues.

#12 ·
Sorry to hear about your loss. I looked very hard at these boats and was convinced they were one of the better boats out there in this category. However it was pretty difficult to get ahold of them when researching and they seemed unresponsive and vague. The product appeared great but the customer service was lacking.

#21 ·
This company didn't sponsor a board that I know of (they tried on my steelheader board, but were turned away). They company you're thinking of is Waterready and they were doing ifish.

#22 ·
Kelly,

I guess the good news that if you do maintain the lien for 50 years and it accrues interest at 9% annually, your $1,400 lien will be worth $104,100.53 (no joke). So if you maintain the lien, it at least is a decent long term investment. Basically... don't forget to renew the judgment.

#23 ·
I think Fred Evans is on point. If you can do it at low enough cost and effort to make it reasonable, consider a foreclosure action on the property on which you have a lien. The property normally then would be sold at a sheriff's sale (public) and you would claim the proceeds of the sale up to the amount of your judgment and, hopefully, costs.

Kevin

#25 ·
He's made recent posts on there trying to pick on Streamtech. Since that forum caters mostly to the Colorado area, and non fisherman, most don't realize who he is or what he's up to.

I've also seen him posting on various Oregon Craigslist regions about his "pro' raft frames.

#27 ·
Afterthought: Another thing that separates the great state of California from others is that if this thread were in a general forum down here, you would probably find a plethora of people defending the frame builder. They'd suggest that he might be shouldering personal issues far more serious than your $1,400, or that a man has to feed and clothe his family first, or that he his welding equipment might not meet OSHA standards and he cares for his employees first, or that he may have discovered that his shop wasn't fully green and chose not to further pollute the earth of which we are all stewards.
Yep, world's largest insane asylum, and one where the inmates are actually in charge. A good dose of ebola would probably go a long way toward curing that... Just sayin`

#28 ·
I never knew the last name (Hawthorn) until seeing it here but I have spoken with a James several times at this company and I assume it is the same person. Although we did have some great discussion on product ideas, frame materials, pontoon materials, experiences with other business, the guy seemed like a decent dude while on the phone. I heard lots about the former Whitewater Fabrication that went out of business with some of the same people going to this new company.

#30 ·
Why doesn't this guy get his own company on solid ground, add his product line and get his half finished web site up and running? Seems that would be a better approach than taking shots at other manufacturers. I guess one's approach can speak volumes of one's intent and practice. Still, I'd like to see another player in the game of cool watercraft. I'd even like to get my hands on a set of those tubes to try them out. Can't see any other items besides the tubes because the rest of the prodcuts are not yet available or have not been added. I'll happily keep using my boats from other companies, all have full web sites and great products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.