Buyer's Beware!!!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by kelly cunningham, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    This company didn't sponsor a board that I know of (they tried on my steelheader board, but were turned away). They company you're thinking of is Waterready and they were doing ifish.

2. bjgavin

bjgavin Member

Kelly,

I guess the good news that if you do maintain the lien for 50 years and it accrues interest at 9% annually, your $1,400 lien will be worth $104,100.53 (no joke). So if you maintain the lien, it at least is a decent long term investment. Basically... don't forget to renew the judgment.

3. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

I think Fred Evans is on point. If you can do it at low enough cost and effort to make it reasonable, consider a foreclosure action on the property on which you have a lien. The property normally then would be sold at a sheriff's sale (public) and you would claim the proceeds of the sale up to the amount of your judgment and, hopefully, costs.

Kevin

Dave Alberts likes this.
  4. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Ole River Runner again. Thanks, Chris. I wonder if all the guys on Mountain Buzz know about this.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    He's made recent posts on there trying to pick on Streamtech. Since that forum caters mostly to the Colorado area, and non fisherman, most don't realize who he is or what he's up to.

I've also seen him posting on various Oregon Craigslist regions about his "pro' raft frames.

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    California law may be different, but probably not significantly in these actions. Getting a judgment is where we usually stop because prosecuting a judgment can be expensive and time consuming and for $1,400 at stake I know I would not do it because I'd have practically no net recovery. Ours are usually in the mid five figures and I know if I push hard enough most will go BK so there's not much point in light asset cases. Over the past four or five years, we've obtaining judgments well in excess of $1M and nearly all have responded with a bankruptcy filing as usually we were one of several creditors.

Getting a garnishment here is difficult. It may not be elsewhere. We were granted one recently and it took about a week for the BK to happen.

Again this is California, and going BK here is about as eventful as a trip to Walgreens and takes about as much effort. I think people from the Northwest have a little more pride and fighting spirit, so you might actually get paid someday if he doesn't go chapter first. Here, I would bet strongly against it. $1,400 is a sting but the loss isn't going to change your lifestyle. I'd consider writing it off, moving on, and hoping some day you get a call asking for payoff instructions. That is my $.02 which probably approximates the value of my judgments;-)

Afterthought: Another thing that separates the great state of California from others is that if this thread were in a general forum down here, you would probably find a plethora of people defending the frame builder. They'd suggest that he might be shouldering personal issues far more serious than your $1,400, or that a man has to feed and clothe his family first, or that he his welding equipment might not meet OSHA standards and he cares for his employees first, or that he may have discovered that his shop wasn't fully green and chose not to further pollute the earth of which we are all stewards.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Yep, world's largest insane asylum, and one where the inmates are actually in charge. A good dose of ebola would probably go a long way toward curing that... Just sayin`

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I never knew the last name (Hawthorn) until seeing it here but I have spoken with a James several times at this company and I assume it is the same person. Although we did have some great discussion on product ideas, frame materials, pontoon materials, experiences with other business, the guy seemed like a decent dude while on the phone. I heard lots about the former Whitewater Fabrication that went out of business with some of the same people going to this new company.

9. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

That's a better rate of return than I can get anywhere. Maybe I should go for one!

GBeeman

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Why doesn't this guy get his own company on solid ground, add his product line and get his half finished web site up and running? Seems that would be a better approach than taking shots at other manufacturers. I guess one's approach can speak volumes of one's intent and practice. Still, I'd like to see another player in the game of cool watercraft. I'd even like to get my hands on a set of those tubes to try them out. Can't see any other items besides the tubes because the rest of the prodcuts are not yet available or have not been added. I'll happily keep using my boats from other companies, all have full web sites and great products.

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I see Cabela's has Scadden's line of boats now!

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Interesting. Scadden at Cabelas.

13. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    They have carried his boats for at least a year. I think you can do better direct, but at least if there's a problem you've got Cabela's.

14. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    It'll be interesting to see if they (Cabela's) comes out with the same boats under their brand name in the next year or two..

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most big companies do that. Especially if a product is made in one of the big companies in China, doesn't take much to have your boat "remade" under a different flagship name. Especially once a contract expires. With my job, I know several small companies that used to produce for bigger companies that had their product "renamed" and tweaked a little under the flagship name of a larger company (not just saying Cabelas, but alot of big box store type companies).

16. shawn k

shawn k Member

Cabelas has been selling Scadden boats for at least five years so its nothing new.

17. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    Longer than that actually. They had them at the Salt Lake Cabela's 2 years ago at least.