Buying fly tying material online

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Josh P, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Josh P Member

Ratings: +27 / 0
    Looking for the cheapest/best online store to purchase tying material from looking to get a bunch of stuff for tying intruders. Any input would help! PM or post here. Thanks.
  2. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    To find the cheapest you'll have to shop at different stores. What I have noticed buying material online is that while one store may be cheaper on a certain item, you can't assume that they are cheapest for all material. With intruders having so many different styles and materials, it would be difficult to just recomend one store without even knowing your materials list. (ie do you plan on using rhea, ostrich, or both...do you plan to use artic fox, dubbing, flatbraid?)

Part of the fun, at least for me, is also the hunt. Give it a try.
  3. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Like stated, you will have to shop around for places that carry your materials and possibly one store may not have all you need. Also check craft stores, great place for materials as well as Dollar General, Dollar tree and such. Hobby and craft stores are also a good bet
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    When I can't get something local, I buy from J S Stockard on line. They have a quick turn around time and the prices are comparable to othe on line stores. They have stuff you can't find in local shops as well. jsflyfishing.com
  5. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    best deals in terms of value, not necessarily price, are those which offer free shipping, either outright, or with a minimum purchase. I always figured i didnt mind spending an extra buck on a couple items if i was getting to use the money i'd pay for shipping at another store, on materials instead a store with slightly higher prices....
  6. RoVaKi Member

Georgia
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I use caddisflyshop.com for alot of items. When you spend $25 plus the shipping is free. They also deliver fast and their customer service is great. For tungsten beads I use riplipsfishing.com, they also sell on ebay and amazon. Hope this helps.
  7. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    For intruders and other steelhead stuff I would contact Poppy at the Red Shed, Steelead (Tolt River) Anglers, or Waters West. All three have materials of outstanding quality.
  8. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    I've bought lots from caddis, pacific fly fishers and recently aofeathers.com, neat fellow who should become a sponsor here ;-)
  9. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    I just got a bunch of 1/4 Arctic fox tails from Waters West and they're awesome. Great dye job.
  10. Ping Shen New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Bob Marriott's has a great selection of fly tying materials as well. Between them and Caddis Fly I can usually find whatever I want.