cabela's bench?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rob Ast, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Just wondering if anyone has used the cabela's fly tying work center (pg 102 in the new catalog), and if anyone had opinions about it.

cabelas link deleted

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've never tied on it. Have a friend who owns it though (he bought the whole kit and caboodle), and he LOVES it. I've been meaning to run down to see him so I can check it out. Think he got his from Anglers Workshop (think that's where his wife bought it, was an anniversary gift, I knew I always liked her ;) ). If I get down there, will let you know. From what he's said, he just can't say enough good things about it.

3. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    I havent used it, but what about going to an antique shop and looking around for something you can use with a few sight modifications. I did that with an antique sewing table that only cost me 30 bucks.

I was on a budget, but if you have some money to spend, I am always seeing awsome rolltop desks and such that have a lot of little drawers and sections that would be great for a tying desk.

Just my thoughts!

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Here's a couple of pictures of what I use. It didn't cost much and it has three drawers below the platform and I use those plastic containers for the extra junk. Please excuse the mess, but my house cleaning sucks.

5. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I use an old computer table for my bench. Not enough drawers, but plenty of storage on the shelves above.

I wonder if we need to take up a collection to hire a cleaning lady for the Old Man? Maybe a cute one, in a french maid outfit??????

Wayne

6. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    Here's my bench I was talking about. I dont' have as much crap (oops, I meant cool stuff) as Old Man, but as you can see its a little cleaner!

Attached Files:

7. Pat M

Pat M Chasing Tiger Trout

Media:
    Home Page:
    I bet you know where everything is that you need. :thumb:

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here's a pic of my desk (the one time it's clean LOL). Has been reorganized since this pic. Only thing I don't like about the rolltop is not having things out hanging. Like chenilles, etc. Have to keep them in a cubby. Tried using trays, etc. So only limitation if you do alot of tying and want easy access to everything. It works though. Luckily, this desk was given to me (THANKFULLY an early inheritance from my Dad). So am using it as a flydesk (alot better then my old one, can't find a picture of that one anywhere).

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Not really. I just got back from AATF and ended up not being able to find my scissors under all that mess. I should clean it but it would be a waste of time. I just can't seem to keep anything neat. Too much of a slob I guess.

Jim

I cleaned it up and lo and behold I found my scissors

10. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Here's my crap. I made this out of an old cheap dresser, and just use those draw things you can get at wal mart. Stuff kind of settles out and over the Linux computer desk, and if I lose something it will stay lost for awhile, once in awhile I vacum the mess below.

11. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I guess the first try the images exceded the size limit.