Cabelas fiberglass rods

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Mark Mercer, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    Cabela's has their fiberglass rods on sale on the internet for $75 right now. I bought the 6'6" 4wt last summer, and it's really a pretty sweat little rod.
  2. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Can't find the sale on them. Do you have a link?
  3. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
  4. Brennen Busse Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I noticed this rod is a fast action and just getting into learning how to properly cast, would this NOT be a good rod to start with?
  5. islandfisherman islandfisherman

Anacortes,Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  6. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    This is a great place to start.

Brennen, they are most definitely not a fast action rod... med/slow would be a more accurate description and yes you could learn on one.
  7. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,227 / 0
  8. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I haven't bought this one yet but did buy the Eagle Claw "Feather Weight" Fiberglass and love it. Very old timey looking with a ruler on the lower portion of the rod just above the winding check. Yellow blank and brown wraps and the Eagle Claw emblem in the handle. Sorry to get off track
  9. William Wallace Active Member

Chesterton IN
    Ratings: +200 / 0
    Did not buy mine at this price, but I have the 7'6" 5/6wt and love it. Have not had any issue with cork, reel seat, guide wrapping, nothing at all. I know I don't get to fish it a lot, but do tons of casting in yard and love it. My daughter has been practicing with it also.
  10. Methow Roamer Seeker of the Exotic and Aquatic

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I learned on one of these, a 6wt. Recently gave it away and miss it.
    Good casting rod.I'm gonna buy one.
  11. Brennen Busse Member

Issaquah, WA
    I purchased a 5wt 9 foot last night. Looking forward to getting out with it.
  12. William Wallace Active Member

Chesterton IN
    Brennen,

Not big deal, but I think the one you bought is the traditional II graphite, which states fast action. I do not think the fiberglass went to that length.

As for the traditional series I have one of the 11' 6 wt switch rods which is a great rod. I think you will be happy with the 9' 5wt

Good casting

Braveheart
  13. Brennen Busse Member

Issaquah, WA
    Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I read a lot of the reviews on Cabela's website and a decent amount eluded to the fly rod being a med-fast rather than a fast action.

Enjoy the weekend. Beautiful day here.
  14. mojo Member

Yewtah
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    It's fast for glass. I think it has some graphite in the butt section. Faster than Lamiglass, early McFarland. Little faster than Steffan's S glass. I'd say this rod series and
    TL Johnson's Synergy rod are about the same action. At least that's what my feels like to me.
  15. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    Can anyone comment on whether the 5/6 leans towards a 5 or a 6? Could you compare it to a Fenwick FF806?
  16. William Wallace Active Member

Chesterton IN
    Trevor,

It has been awhile since I cast the FF806, but on my 7.5 5/6, how can I say this without sounding stupid and that's hard for me. It will handle both great; I am using the RIO Grand in both, the 5wt to me works best, loads the rod both long and short casts. The 6wt is great for 2 false casts and let shoot for good distance, quick pick up and get fishing again.

I was with my brother last year on the Yak, using a 4wt (all I had at time) rod still worked fine and I was casting the whole line out with no problem. Little light 20-30ft, but once you got the full taper out, lots of power in the rod, only thing I did not like was the size of the handle, just a little to big for me, so I sanded down just alittle and now it fits beautiful!

Hope this helps

William
  17. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +438 / 0
    I know nothing of their fly rods, glass or otherwise. But for those that are just beginning a journey into the addiction of fly casting and fishing, remember, before Graphite and Boron, there was Fiberglass.
    I would council that if you can master the slower action and loop control of the fiberglass, the other more advanced technology will be a bonus to you.
    One of the benefits that I found with fiberglass is that it teach the valuable lesson of patients. If you can WAIT for the rod to load, your cast will be better and more distant. Everybody that begins fly fishing wants to cast to the far corner of the world, until they realize that the fish are not over there all of the time.
    Blue and Old Man like this.
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,724 / 0
    My first fly rod was a Fiberglass one. But that was a llllooooonnnnnggggg time ago. I was about 25 then, I'm 77 now. It was a 6wt I know and maybe an 8'6" rod.. I never tried to hit the other bank with as I always knew that the fish were behind me as I always waded out to far.
  19. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +438 / 0
    They were always where I wasn't, Jim. :D
  20. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0

There is no comparison with the Cabela's (or any other rod) with those $14. I have one as well. It is a terrible caster, but it has a nice bend. Mine the guides are HUGE and a couple shy and that is the way they are made. I only use it for deep nymhing because like I said, casts like crap.
    BUT, the Cabela's are Awesome! Beautiful rods really and my cork is just fine as well. I have the 6'6" 4 wt.

As far as LEARNING on a glass rod. I am all for that. It teaches one to slow down and wait for it. Like mentioned, if you master a slow action rod, the rest is cake.