Cabelas fiberglass rods

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Mark Mercer, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Try the 5'9" 3wt for mountain streams... it makes a 10 incher feel like a trophy! A SA 3/4 fits the reel seat like it was custom, and balances nicely too. Definately not an "only" rod, but a lot of fun in small stream situations!
  2. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    curious to hear more about the 3 wt vs the 4 wt Cabelas CGR

they are on sale now at $60.

background: I was fishing Ohanapekosh river a few weeks ago with my graphite IM6 4 wt, 7.5 feet. This is normally a pretty soft rod, but in this circumstance it was too stiff for the little fish and could not keep them on the hook to land. Had a good time, but want a more bendy rod.

so wondering, should I change from graphite 4 wt to fiberglass 4 wt? or go down to fiberglass 3 wt?

Jay
  3. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I can't compare to a 3 wt as I don't own any.;) But I have several glass and Bamboo in four weight. I have a Lamiglass three piece that is E glass. Very noodlie. The Cabela's are either a mix or S glass or both. They are soft but not super soft. I am able to roll cast 40' with two flies using the 6'6" Cabela's four weight. Love it and the price so much I bought the 7/8 weight.
    Can't wait to try that on Carp. I just want someone with me to help net one as I think with that rod it could be a battle.
  4. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    I thought for sure someone would have posted unless I missed it. They are coming out with another fiberglass line that is better and running about 149.00. They have a 6'2" 2wt I will be getting. Nice looking rods.
  5. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +507 / 2
    Do you have a link to any of those John? Photos somewhere?
  6. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT

Not out yet, so tuff to give a review. As for better...have to wait for that.
  7. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +110 / 0
  8. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    I knew Cameron test drove one but couldn't find it. Thanks. Looks a little like a McFarland...LOL
  9. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +507 / 2