Cabelas LSI switch and spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by wyofly, Jan 14, 2013.

1. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Does anyone have an opinion on these rods and a recommended length, specifically for an entry level rod for use in the sound?

2. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I don't fish the sound and am relatively new to the two handed rod routine. I have a 5 wt LSI that is a terrific intro streamer rod and will cast a lot of line very easily both as a single handed rod or two handed overhand cast and using a snap T type of cast.

One advantage of trying a Cabelas rod is that you can fish it for 2 months and if you don't like it return it---I did that with an 8 wt. 13 foot spey rod---I bought it on sale for a buck 25 or close to it. I only lawn cast the rod with a couple of single hand 10wt WF lines---I didn't ever fish it during the month that I had it---had I found an appropriate weight loaner line I may have kept it.

3. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Thanks cmann886, I didn't know about the 2 months warranty. All of the customer comments are positive and I just wanted a puget sound guys take on the rods.

4. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

I know a guy who fishes all 4 seasons on a spey & he likes those. He pulled one out, showed it to me & said for the $$ they are hard to beat. That one was a low water summer rod, might have been a 5.

c/22

5. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

check out the rio page they have a line reccomendation chart. usually good recs on lines. the outbound is a popular overhead line for beach fishing. or call cabelas, talk to one of their spey team :)

6. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Good stuff, thanks guys.

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I use a 5 wt. switch for the salt once in a while but always seem to gravitate back to the single handed rods. Sometimes overhead casting from the beach is not as good as it sounds. If you're looking for distance, a 9'6" or 10' might be a better choice as you can really screw up a good cast experimenting.

8. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Steve, I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I'm thinking that I would like to try spey casting with both a single hand and a double hand rod in the sound during my many Tacoma visits this year. I can get one of the above mentioned rods for Cabela points and I have many reels that will work.

9. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I have one, the 13' 8 weight I've been using three or so times a week this winter (not on a beach though), and in my novice spey casting opinion, it's a pretty nice rod for the money, although I paid $85 for mine. A couple more experienced spey fisherman I know have also mentioned that its a great rod for the money.

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I'll tell you what. I have a 5 wt. switch, a 12'6" 7wt. spey, and a 14' 9 wt. spey. You let me know when you are going to be here. We can go to the beach in front of my house and try them out and you can decide if that's what you want to do. Then, there's a Cabela's 35 minutes down the road and you can pick up your choice there. If you don't have a car, I'll take you. My rods are Sage but you can at least get an idea if that type casting suits you before you drop the $.

11. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Thank you Steve, for the very generous offer and I will be more than happy to meet with you.
    I'm thinking I'll be in Tacoma 16 - 23 of Feb and will contact you just as soon as the dates are firm.