cabo report 4/21-4/27

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Benni, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Benni Member

seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    this was calla's and i first vacation in about 3 years. most of our time was spent on the beach, or in a pool, drink in hand. we fished a couple of days with a baja anglers (can't say enough about our captain/guide nosario-he was awesome!)
    calla got her first rooster, as did i. there were some dorado about, a well as some yellow fin. we got into some nice sierras and a ton of roosters. we also got into a marlin and had a bunch of chances as snappers, they broke me off each time. all in all we had a great time, and will be back again!
    ben:thumb:
  2. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Saw some of your pics in your gallery; what a great time! Roosters, yellowfin, sierra . . . how fun is that!?!? :thumb:
  3. jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Toronto, ON
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I love fishing Baja. When we were down there we hit a ton of snapper and yellowtail, but we spent nearly half of our time dealing with "needle fish" - looked like smallish saltwater gar.

Did you use a fly rod at all? I can only imagine the fight against a big bull dorado on a 9wt.
  4. Benni Member

seattle, WA
    richard-
    we had so much fun, we are starting to plan our next trip already! the yellowfin turned into mexican style sashimi, man, that was just about the best fish i've had yet!! and the roosters put up a hellofa fight!
    joby-
    we took most fish on the fly. most of them were teased in with a popper without hooks, to get the fish into casting range. the rod of choice was a ten wieght, dealing with the wind, heavy tips and big flies i don't think i would want anything lighter.
  5. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    "mexican style sashimi"? what is that? :) Yellowfin (ahi) is my favorite steak; cooked on the grill, to me it's about as good as it gets. The sierra should have been made in to ceviche; great stuff.

I would generally concur that a stout 10 is a great all-around rig down there, and a stout 9 can work well inshore; however, that sierra and those roosters would have been great 8 weight fish. :thumb:

I fished La Paz last June for a week (going again this year) with my dad, and we caught over 20 different species of fish, from wee little guys to marlin. And they all ate sardine imitations. It would be a short life to be a baitfish out in the ocean . . .
  6. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Hey, jobyksu, what kind of fishing do you have down there in Fayetteville? I will be going down there time to time over the next year for work . . .
  7. Benni Member

seattle, WA
    richard-
    8 weight would have been fun! mexican style was thin sliced, dressed with avacado, sweet onion, and thinly sliced serano& jalepeno peppers. there was a little oil over the top, it was really good....the dorado turned into ceviche, and the rest of the tuna was seared on the grill...very tasty! we ate the sierra, grilled and into tacos!
  8. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    Looks like they put some new cushions on the boat.
  9. jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Toronto, ON
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    PM Sent - but to summarize:

Big trout
    Big Smallmouth
    Big Striped bass

Good Walleye, white/hybrid bass, largemouth, kentucky bass, just about any panfish you can imagine.

There is a ton of variety in fish and you can find someplace to use just about any method you want. If you've got a two-handed trouter, bring it. Rim Shoals downstream on the white river is made for it.
  10. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Nice report and pic's! This is on my list of trips to take! Thanks for sharing! :beer2:
  11. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    Looks like you had a great trip! Did all your gear hold up OK?
    Anil
  12. Benni Member

seattle, WA
    the gear held up fine, we didn't need all that we brought, however, i am one to be overprepared. the flies all caught fish, and of course, there were "hotter" colors for sure. now we have a pretty good idea what we need for the next trip!! thanks for all your help anil!

ben