Caddis Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by steeli, Jun 5, 2007.

1. James St. Clair stclairj

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I'm in for one or two, but if we tie 2 patterns, I think we should only tie 1 each, and if we tie 1 pattern I am cool with tying 2 for each person. Anyways....

If 1 pattern: All around caddis emerger (fished dry or just below the surface, I don't have good names cause I came up with these myself).

If 2 patterns: Same as above, and a pupae/emerger pattern that can be fished deep below a big stone all the way up to just below the surface behind a dry, and great on the swing no matter where in the water column it is fished.

James:beer2:
  2. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Ok Bryan, maybe next time...
    So far there's 7 tiers and we're open for a couple more; swap closes Friday June 15th. We'll be exchanging one proven caddis pattern per person. Fly can be from subsurface to floating; just not your standard elk hair though.
    Those already committed start replying with your pattern of choice, I'll finalize and then send out details this Friday. I'll be tying up a #14 green pupa emerger.
  3. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    James,
    I like you're idea...
    We have the option to tie 2 patterns, with 2 we only tie 1 each, and if we tie 1 pattern I am fine with tying 2 for each person. I'd prefer tying two patterns myself, but this way those that have just one favorite can still participate.:thumb:
    As I just posted, I'll close and send details Friday.
    In the mean time, I've started tying up one of my patterns....
  4. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    How about an october caddis dry? I'll also tie a Kent Caddis. It's technically an alderfly tied cinnamon sedge style but it works as a caddis imitation in a pinch as well. Nice skinny water pattern. Sound good?
  5. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Small pupa emerger or diver.
  6. Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    If there's still room, and you're willing to put up with someone who lives one mile from the Washington border, I'm in with a peeping caddis and a modified Hemingway caddis.
  7. Monkey Salad Member

walla walla, wa
    I'll tie fox's pupa and a kennebec caddis.
  8. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0

I just wanted to clear up any and all confusion about the number of patterns we are tying.

Is it one pattern for sure?
    One pattern and two flies per person?
    Two patterns with one fly per person?
    Is the world round? :beathead: I'm confused

Are we limiting the patterns to trout only or could I tie an October Caddis Spey, that is if there are no objections to those that don't persue steelies?
  9. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    This swap is now closed...

Tiers are:
    1. steeli
    2. Be Jofus G
    3. James St. Clair
    4. obiwankanobi
    5. scottflycst
    6. P-FITZ98
    7. Monkey Salad
    8. smulkowski

Sorry for any confusion.
    To clarify: You have the option to tie 2 patterns-1 each, or one pattern 2 each. My preference is we tie two patterns each, but either way is fine. Either way with 8 people, this is a total of 16 flies to tie up.

With this number of flies I've extended the deliver deadline from July 2 to July 10th to give us a little more time. Later today, I'll send you guys a P.M. with a summary and mailing details.

obiwankanobi, fine with me regarding the October Caddis
  10. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Steeli,
    10/4 on the final details. I'll start with one pattern- a pupa emerger and If I can stay ahead of the clock I'll tie a Oct. caddis nymph as well. This should be alot of fun, looking forward to everyone's ideas.
  11. obiwankanobi Active Member

Got em tied and fried..........I will send them off next week!!
  12. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Great, obiwankanobi
    You all should have got my details-PM awhile back; deadline is July 10.
    Haven't heard from you P-FITZ98. Thoughts on what you're tying up?
    I've got my first pattern a pupa-emerger done, starting on the second this weekend.

Looks like most rivers just starting to drop into good flows...
    Tight lines.
  13. P-FITZ98 Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I already tied some emergers, but it seems like alot of people are too.I might do something different this weekend.Just had like 90% of my reels ripped of, and 2 rods,and a bunch of other shit, been bumming.It will be a surprise,but Im in.
  14. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    So far I've received Monkey Salad fox's pupa and a kennebec caddis; nice ties and very good labeling information included.
    I've got my two fly patterns tied and ready to go.

Bummer about your misfortunes P-FITZ98. Over the years I've lost a couple hand tied fly boxes packed full of flies; very painful. Robbery...that's even tougher.

If I receive all the patterns by the 10th I should have them mailed out that week, otherwise I'll give an update.
  15. obiwankanobi Active Member

So this has been a big delay on my part..I will send them at the latest by Sat. Sorry all work has been busy!!
  16. P-FITZ98 Member

Spokane, WA
    Ill get mine in the mail in the next couple of days.Sorry, but Ive been like a one legged man in an ass kickin contest lately.Ive had the ties done for awhile, but yall know how it goes sometimes.
  17. obiwankanobi Active Member

FYI in order for me to get these out tomorrow, I tied two versions of a caddis steelhead pattern. One is a "bastard spey" like fly that is a hot summer and fall steelhead fly. The other is a skater tied in a similar fashion but will skate across the surface like a October caddis or salmonfly depositing eggs. This was a invention on the vice tonight, so it is up to all of you to test it. I apologize to all trouters, hoping to stock up. I couldn't find size 14-16 dry fly hooks, which would have been a Sat trip to Kaufman's so to get these out, I went with steelie patterns. As of tomorrow they are in the mail!! FINALLY, I know!!! Now onto tying clousers!!!!
  18. Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Coeur d'Alene, ID
    So, who is the asshole holding up the swap now? (Jake raises hand). Sorry - had a family emergency - one pattern tied, the other will be done tonight and sent out tomorrow.
  19. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Just finished mine Will be in the mail tomorrow.

I tied up a pair of Midways for everyone one legless and one with legs
    hook: TAR: 2457HBN Size 16
    Body: Light hares ear
    Abdomen: Dark Hares ear
    Wing: Light Deer hair
    Legs: Natural Mallard Flank *
    Shuck: White McFlylon (Use a sharpie to match whatever shuck color you want I usually just leave them white)

I'm really sorry I'm late guys. I threw a set of RW's in there for ya'll and a few OSs in there for the miester.
    :beer2:
  20. P-FITZ98 Member

Spokane, WA
    I put mine in the mail today. Sorry for any inconvenience.