Caddis Patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Greg Pucilowski, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    During spring runoff I enjoy fishing my local tailwater, the Bear River, below Oneida Dam. The flows and weather are ideal right now which is making for some great surface caddis action. My go to patterns are the Elk Hair Caddis (EHC) for the faster water, and the Henry's Fork Caddis and X-Caddis in the slower water for more selective trout. I absolutely love the EHC, and I do enjoy the satisfaction of tying a perfectly proportioned EHC, you could say its similar to the satisfaction you get when coloring within the lines. But I'm ready to color free hand and tie up a "new to me" fast water bushy caddis pattern. The only criteria I have is that I want it to be visible in low light conditions, bushy, float well in fast water, and fun to tie. So when I get home from work (yes I'm at work) I'm going straight to the bench to tie something up and I'll post my creation later tonight "if I remember." If anyone has any ideas or patterns they'd like to share with me and the entire internet community I'd be happy to see them!

Cheers!

Greg

P.S. anyone ever fish with a purple caddis pattern?
  2. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
  3. silvercreek Active Member

Ratings: +207 / 0
    How about the Woodchuck caddis. The original pattern is tied with a dubbed body of Woodchuck underfur and a wing of Woodchuck guard hairs and palmered Cree or mixed brown/grizzly hackle.

http://www.fishingwithflies.com/WoodchuckCaddis.html

Here are some variations.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

triploidjunkie and FinLuver like this.
  4. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    Mercer's Missing Link, My variation with foam thorax. image.jpg image.jpg
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    Thanks, guys. Just looking through the different patterns and the Butch looks like a pretty good option with the folded back hairs for added buoyancy. With the EHC I often submerge it while skating, and like the linked article for the Butch says "hackle is good at keeping a fly on the surface until it gets wet." So this pattern should work, and it looks fun to tie.

@Silvercreek: The top variation looks like the trusty stimulator, which I was also going to tie in #12&14. I was thinking about adding a underwing to it and some rubber legs for the hell of it.

@TE: I like the looks of it. Looks like it could be a good White Miller pattern on the Firehole right now. Any chance you got a side profile pic?
  6. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Kelly Galloup`s Butch Caddis

7. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Here it is. Different fly, same size and color. I tied a cream Caddis #12 version of my friend Mike Mercer's original Missing Link.
    image.jpg
  8. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    Well.. With that video posted we can pretty much shut this thread down. Thanks, Brian.
  9. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    I'll have to tie up a few of those, thanks.
  10. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
  11. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    Ok, so here my third attempt at a butch caddis, I think it'll work. Criticize if you must.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402018301.886496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    That looks good Greg .
    Really nice profile on the wing .
    Greg Pucilowski likes this.
  13. Cole L Fish Fiend

Bellingham
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Emergent sparkle pupa.
    Greg Pucilowski likes this.
  14. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    What this guy tied. I'm a member of The Fly Fishing Community on Facebook, and Gerrit Postma tied this awesome Caddis Pupa.
    image.jpg
    kelvin and triploidjunkie like this.
  15. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,331 / 0
    That would kill around here starting about July. Tan and green, #14.
  16. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    I had good luck fishing with this pattern this morning. The butch caddis I tied up just wasn't floating high enough for my liking. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402185504.914923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    See that Mercer's Missing Link I tied, I took that exact one out last night and caught my first fish on the dry. Lower Sacramento, shallow water, subtle rise. First Fish on dry.jpeg
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  18. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +292 / 0

VERY NICE
  19. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    I stayed the weekend on the Lower Sac. Couldn't catch any on nymphs under the indicator, only on medium to large dries. Screenshot (6).png Screenshot (5).png Screenshot (8).png Classenia s..png .
    freestoneangler likes this.
  20. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +784 / 1
    I like the Sacramento River... it has some quality fish. That last fly pattern almost looks real... well done! ;)
    Teenage Entomologist likes this.