Caddis Question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Jason Rolfe, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I was fishing the Deschutes today, (the little one, near Yelm), and saw some ENORMOUS caddis flies.
    Now, I'm not sure what they were, and didn't have a camera with me. Been seeing a lot of them lately. They looked to be at least size 10. Orangish body, dark brown wing.

Can anyone tell me what it was? There weren't any others on the water, just those big bastards. I was thinking October caddis, but I thought those ones were a bit smaller.

By the way, the little Deschutes is fishing beautifully right now. Four fish today, a couple pushing 14-15 inches.

Cheers and thanks.

Jason

2. WT

WT Member

October caddis would be my guess.
    Have good fishing,
    WT

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah,
    After a bit of searching around, I'm guessing october caddis or Giant caddis. I'm just not too sure exactly how to tell them apart, or whether the Giant is even active right now.

4. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

Media:
    Here's a picture of an October Caddis taken on the Yakima R.

Attached Files:

5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Oh yeah, that looks like it. The other pictures I was finding showed a slightly different looking wing.
    But that's definitely it. Thanks.
    Jason

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

The October caddis (also known as giant caddis, orange caddis, orange sedge, giant orange sedge, etc.), Dicosmoecus, of which there are 5 western species, is the largest North American caddis. They are the large case-building caddis commonly seen crawling around on the bottoms of local streams and rivers during the spring and early summer. They pupate then swim/crawl ashore to emerge as adults as early as mid-September and through the early part of November. The only caddis near its size is the somewhat smaller late summer caddis (Onocosmoecus) which hatches in August and September. The late summer caddis doesn't hatch in such numbers or in such a compressed time period as the October caddis and is a yellowish-tan color as opposed to the October caddis' wide range of orange hues. This year, by the way, seems to have been a very good year for October caddis. Here are a few more pictures

Attached Files:

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Hey Preston,
    Thanks a lot for the info.
    One more question though--are the October Caddis and Giant Caddis basically the same thing? What about this one called the traveling sedge, which I also saw called a Giant Caddis (because of its tendency to sort of skate along the water)? Are they all more or less the same?
    Just wondering, curiousity is getting the better of me.

Jason

8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Traveling sedge is different and is found mostly in stillwaters. I believe that is the Onocomoecus in Preston's post. They can be pretty big, too, but are unlikely to be found in or around streams.
    Dick

9. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Richard-

Dicosmoecus - October Caddis, etc. - family Limnephilidae (Northern Casemaker)
    Onocosmoecus - Great Late-summer Sedge - family Limnephilidae (Northern Casemaker)
    Banksiola - Traveler Sedge (early-July emerger) - family Phryganeidae (Giant Casemaker)

10. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Man, now you guys are confusing me.
    I've seen the october caddis referred to as a Giant Caddis. I've seen the Giant caddis referred to as a Traveling sedge. Ugh. Good thing I'm not much of a scientist. I'm just going to make sure and have a few more big EHC's in the box if I go out again soon.

Cheers fellas. Gotta love those Caddis flies. I don't know why, but I feel like caddis patterns always seem to give me the best action. I'm sure it's a matter of the waters I fish most regularly, etc. But the fish certainly smash em sometimes.

Jason

11. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Jason,

Oftentimes, multiple unrelated genera are referred to by the same common name. Conversely, a single genera (or even a single species) often acquires multiple common names, particularly in different geographic regions. This leads to the confusion you describe above. My recommendation is to learn about the aquatic insects you are attempting to imitate. But, that's not for everyone, for sure.

12. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Taxon,
    Thanks for the help. I definitely do my best to gain what knowledge I can about the insects I find. It's a lot of fun, certainly. While I don't know if I'll ever have every taxonomical name memorized of every insect I see, I definitely appreciate having guys like you around to drop a few tidbits of wisdom like this.
    Anyhow, thanks. Its comforting to know we have guys like you around who are willing to do the dirty work for the rest of us.
    Cheers,
    jason

13. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Jason,
    October Caddis. Please leave your success on this gem of a stream to yourself!