Cady Lake flies

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by D3Smartie, Apr 9, 2009.

1. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I am putting together a fly box to go with an auction item for Cady lake and I was hopeful that someone might tell me flies that are good for the lake. I am clueless when it comes to lakes as I usually spend my time in the salt.
    If I were to guess i would put in some damsels, buggers, calibaetis emergers and maybe a chiro or two...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    David
  2. CoastalCutt Member

North Bend, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Leeches, Chiros, not sure many of our westside lakes have CalliBaetis hatches. I could be wrong. But fill the thing with hale bopps, sparkle leeches, and seal buggers. Can't go wrong. And Dave, you really should give the stillwater a go some time, it's not boring if you figure it out. We're blessed with some nice desert lakes, and a few on the wet side.
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    why waste time fishing lakes for rainbows when you can fish the salt for cutts? when you answer that question i might spend some time out there. :)
  4. deck New Member

um....because the lakes tend to be a bit easier to break down....size wise....you know, a captive audience so to say.....
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    I would include chronies of 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. They are commony fished in the deep water. I would second the Hale Bopps and include a sculpin or two.

MB
  6. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    and when you know how to break down the salt it is a very easy thing to read as well. ugly hatchery rainbows or beautiful wild cutthroats... hmmm :rofl::confused::beer2:
  7. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    thanks scott. i'll put a few more in there.
  8. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    When I use to fish Cady alot about 6 years
    ago early in the season (now) a size 14
    CDC dark green Caddis was the bomb.
    When the fly sinks hand twist it in and
    hold on.

David
  9. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +238 / 3
    D3,

have also had success with a lasha's racoon for picky cruisers during a chironomid hatch
  10. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0

YES. There are plenty of callibaetis hatches on the westside. :D
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,521 / 9

From today's experience I could not get any of those picky ass fish to hit anything, dries, emergers, chironomids, even Robast's famous lasha's racoon. Lots of nice fish right up to it then they would turn away. My first time there, frustrating! It was great.
  12. cade_cvd New Member

puyallup, wa
    going for my first time to cady in the first week of may and was wondering what side of the lake is a better try, if theres any bad sides... just picked up a pontoon and going to try it out. kind of intimidated by the picky fish there that im hearing from people, but you have to try sometime, right? appreciate any help and i think i have my flies ready from this post thx.
  13. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Cade:

It's really not that big of lake. I have hit fish is all parts - deep, shallow, drop offs. Just move around a bit until you find the fish. While there have been some dry fly days, most is sub-sruface - as with most lakes.

MB
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,521 / 9
    M-80's. I got skunked there my first time out at Cady. Next time I'll have some M-80 flies. Light, sizzle, drop, wait, BOOM, wait, net and photo! Just kidding!
  15. tankiewiczj@kroybp.com HPIC

tacoma
    One of the best fies on Cady is an ant - red, brown or black - flying or not.
  16. cade_cvd New Member

puyallup, wa
    great this helps. size of the ant flys? how about how to present it... strips or hand rolling? wouldnt think the ant would move that much anyway. any sites or books to review before going. havent studied much but hands on is always a good start i hear .excited to go!! hopefully i will report successful!

hey anyone willing to go with? date not locked in yet.
  17. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +184 / 6
    iagree Most of my Cady fish have come on streamers with an intermediate line. You can cover the whole lake in less than an hour. Just keep cruising, you'll find them.
  18. bobaloo100 New Member

seattle,washington
    San Juan Worm Just off the bottom