Cady Lake News

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Saturday, I made my way over to Cady Lake in Mason County with Donna and Sophie for our first-ever visit.

Fish were reluctant to hit the fly, but we did get a couple into the boat – including one nice 21"er Donna brought in with a #16 dark elk hair caddis. Yup, dry fly action in early March!!

Sophie was somewhat bored on the boat, but had fun on shore with other dogs, including one regal 13-year old male yellow lab (I think Sophie was a bit in love with him -- she loves other labs in general, but she was particularly taken with this old gentle dog). I really loved the fact that the old lab's people included a young (I'd guess maybe 7-9 years old) girl out with her dad and her dad's buddy. She was a trooper who spent the cool day in a boat and seemed to enjoy the entire outing -- I watched her reel in one fish her dad hooked, only to have the fish throw the fly right before they got the net under it! She was disappointed but excited, too. Great to see youngsters enjoying all aspects of the sport.

The big news from Cady, though, is that it appears the Lodge, Lake and surround land are all up for sale. The owner came down and chatted with Donna and me as we rigged up in the morning. After 21+ years of operating the B&B, he says he is ready to retire and has the entire property listed for sale. He had hoped to sell to Washington State Parks (Tahuya State Park is nearly adjacent) but the state said they couldn't come up with funding, even though the owner offered it at a measly 25% of assessed value if it remained open as public park land/lake.

Having finally experienced this great little lake, I'd hate to see it be closed off to public use. It's a remarkable fly-fishing only lake. Hopefully, someone will step in and purchase it while retaining its public availability.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Bummer! That was a nice little flyfishing only lake.

Another fishing spot bites the dust... :(

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

We should all buck up, buy the place, and keep it as a private C&R lake for WFF forum members with at least 1,900 posts.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

That would be a great idea but I have a feeling he isn't planning to sell it cheap.

5. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    Larry has had it up for sale for years without any takers I doubt that it can be shut down the state has access but I could see it changing

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Not positive, but I think the State has access rights. Thing is, he may not plant anymore big fish, who knows. And if he sells, that would probably end entirely.

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I issue is money and the dollars to keep the place up. All too often people have visited, fished, and left without putting a few bucks in the donation box. That is, of course, not the whole of it, obviously, however had visitors been a little more generous, Larry would be in less of a predicament.

8. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Having fished Cady since the 60's,
    well before Larry's time, I have mixed
    feels. Larry is a great guy with a beautiful
    place. The fishing is ok for big planters.
    It is a long way for most people which tends to limit the crowds.
    The access is public and even if it sells it still
    will be. The fish in Cady have always been planters.
    Which to me is the rub. You are
    dependent on the quality of the fish dumped into
    the lake, some beautiful, and some with pushed in
    noses and missing fins. That being said it is still
    a place that is close enough for me to wet a line
    and get out of the house to fish.

Dave

9. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Good for Larry. He deserves to live out his years as he chooses. I'm glad to have known him these past few years.

The lake, no doubt, will never be the same. Whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. I have a hard time picturing a scenario that doesn't end with the lake being royally effed, but ill keep my fingers crossed

10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Larry provides access but there is no direct, state owned, access - as I understand it. He allows access and gets some support from the state, not as much as the state said they would provide.

As for planters being a "rub", how many lakes do you fish that have self sustaining populations?

MB

Nick Clayton likes this.