Cady lake, or Pass Lake ?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Luke Filmer, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Luke Filmer

Luke Filmer Member

Media:
    I have some time on Friday to fish if weather permits, and need a reccomendation for south sound fishing.
    Seems like now may be the time for one of these lakes:hmmm: .
    Anyone have any recent reports?

2. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    I fished last week at Cady, the fishing was pretty decent using BH rubber leg Hare's Ear with a lightening bug soft hackle (olive) as a trailer. Dry fly action was kind of spotty due to weather. About 14 fish total to hand... I might be on Pass Lake this Sunday.

3. Luke Filmer

Luke Filmer Member

Media:
    Nice report Wayne! -Thanks.
    You had an excellent day:beer2:
    Cady does sound good, and it's real close to home.
    Does Larry have anything big lurking around in there?

I am definately in the mood for some brown trout being that I missed my Montana trip this year, so I am still debating on Pass as it is pretty close too.
    The water temp should be just about right by now.
    Not sure which day I will go next weekend, but if it's Sunday, and Pass lake I will pm you before I go,:thumb:
    -Luke

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    The fish were tailing in the shallows at Cady, and it was a real blast to watch... I didn't catch a lot, but the 3 fish I did bring to hand were all over 17"...

5. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    My biggest fish last week was a fiesty 20" cutt, the rainbows averaged 15". There are some fish measured in pounds swimming in that lake!

6. WCC fishing

WCC fishing New Member

I was out at Pass last week and the fish were going crazy. However, they tended to be kind of picky on what they wanted. I'm not sure you'll be able to match the numbers of fish that Cady is producing, but there is definetly a good shot at a big brown. I ended catching about a 23 incher on a muddler pattern, but if you go I would take a number of smaller minnow patterns and don't be afraid to switch until you find something that works. In the past I've done really well on zonkers in pearl and olive colors, but they didn't to the trick the other night. Filson has a great photo of a pass lake minnow and a pretty sweet pattern to match in his gallery. Anyone heading up to pass should take a look at. Where ever you end up going let us know how you did.

cheers

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Monday, I went to Lake Martha and had a fine time hooking up with the browns there. My best was a stout-bodied 18" trout that was hanging out in very shallow water--maybe less than 3 feet deep. I used a size 8 olive woolly bugger (new age olive chennille, olive grizzly hackle, and insect green marabou tail--the insect green was a tip I received from a Colorado fly fisher who said the browns there are big on that color). That trout boiled the water hard twice before it set my hook in the corner of its mouth. Geez, the browns there are getting bigger every time I go there. Pretty soon, they'll be giving Pass Lake a run for its money.:D

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    SSSSSSShhhhhhush up. You want to give away our little secret. The next thing you know is that the masses will want to know where the lake is at and then the fishery will go to hell.

SSSSSHHHHHH.

Jim

9. Luke Filmer

Luke Filmer Member

Media:
    Ceviche,
    Thanks for the tip on Martha! That sounds like a great day on the water with a new bug for ya to boot!:thumb:
    Pass lake is only about an hour from my place so I am pretty sure that's the plan.
    I will post a report on the action.

10. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Okay! Okay! :beathead: But, like the crowds have shown up so far? I've brought up this lake how many times, but it's always the same: I was the only person on the lake. I guess it's the same as usual, that no one ever listens to me. Besides, Pass has better aesthetics and does have bigger trout, plus very handsome ones to boot. The best looking rainbow I ever caught was out of Pass, so I guess people go there for a reason. I don't go there as a usual thing, because of the driving distance. Martha is just quite a bit closer for me. Oh well...:confused: