Cady Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Thomas Williams, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    Due to the lack of places to fish from bad weather my options are slim right now. Pass has toxic algae. I could do Lone but hate the Ferry. So Cady Lake it is. My arch nemesis! I will be sure to post a report of all the things that didnt work. Haha. Maybe I will get lucky. The only thing ive seen work at Cady is C-mids fished off a 30ft tippet. Not really my style.
  2. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +322 / 0
    Have fun and I look forward to your report. I have not fished cady but may make a trip there this spring with our fly fishing club.

I hear he just planted fish 2 days ago, so look out for the little guys.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,225 / 9
    Streamers will get your line tight nearly every time.
  4. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Thats what I hear Im fishing a type IV deep.
    troutpocket and Ed Call like this.
  5. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +83 / 0
    I fished Cady for the first time three weeks ago with my dad. I got two fish on a hare's ear nymph dropped a few feet below the surface on a midge tip line. The larger of the two was 15" at the NW corner of the lake. I tried a white bugger too and got a couple hits. Dad fished a water boatman deep and got a little action, but not much. He had one huge strike on the surface but I can't remember what he was using then.
    When you going? I may go back Friday this week.
    -Rob
  6. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    Lots of lakes to fish. Mason Co has Spencer, Lost and Nahwatzel which were recently stocked with some nice fish. Munn has also been planted which is a great shallow lake and probably just as close in Tumwater since its all I-5 driving.
  7. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +67 / 7
    Fished Munn last Monday for 3 hrs landed 4 with one a nice 3-4 lbs and the others 14 inch very dark fish. The larger fish was bright and fat not much of a fight for the size no like the eastern WA. fish for fight wise caught all on chironomid fishing
  8. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    That's not a bad line for fishing a deep vertical presentation. No need for a 30' leader to hang your bugs deep.
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I might head up to one of those Mason Co lakes tomorrow. Weather forecast is looking to be shaping up fine. I'll mainly be fishing my 4 wt rods, and probably starting out with a clear intermediate and the last fly that I used up there. However, I'll have my old 6 wt Cortland 333 type-3 full sinker loaded up on my Medalist 1592 that I will be fishing on a full flex 9' rod, if I feel the need to go deep.
  10. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Okay just came back from Cady Lake. Called it quits a little early. Did pretty good. It rained extremely hard in the morning so I wasnt able to get any pictures. I only had my expensive camera with me and didnt want to risk it. Started at first light fishing an orange and green halfback with a red soft hackle dropper. Sporadic surface activity like usual. Quickly picked up a few nice Bows in the 15" range. Slowed down quite a bit after about 9am, so I decided to throw some new big uglies I picked up from Galloups shop. Threw about 80ft of my type IV out and just slowly kicked keeping the fly about 5' off the bottom. I twitched a #2 black circus-peanut giving a good bolting action and had a hard take. Good hook set and the fight was on. Big guy was thrashing around like a steelhead. After about a 5 min battle I got him to the net. I cant say for sure but he looked about 6lbs. Dark with a good bold red stripe. Great fish. Tried a big yellow boogieman for a bit with no dice and called it quits. If you fish this lake be sure to leave a donation. The owner told me today he spent $20,000 stocking it this year so the least we can do is drop 10$ or so in the box for him!
    Duane J and troutpocket like this.
  11. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +83 / 0
    Nice! Supposed to be nicer out tomorrow. Think I'll give it a shot.
  12. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +163 / 5
    I've got some quality fish out of Cady with big streamers. Especially near dusk. In addition to putting some cash in the donation box, take your significant other for an overnight at the B&B. Super place to stay and fabulous food.
    Ed Call likes this.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,225 / 9
    Yup, yup!
  14. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Dang, I need to make it down there. Sounds like a great fish!
  15. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +951 / 4
    Thanks for the report. Cady can be one hell of a frustrating lake to fish, but it sure puts out nice rewards for those who put in their time.
  16. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +591 / 0
    Spencer is great, the little cove right in front of the bar and grill is really good fishing, lots of cover. I used to fish it for stockers to throw in the smoker and have done great in the winter, really healthy fish, much better than the fish coming out of the lowland lakes on this side.
    Plus the spencer lake bar and grill owns the dock, so you can just pull up and grab a beer and lunch.
  17. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    If you are willing to go a little farther, try lake Stevens. yes i know, too much boat traffic/crappy launches.
    but if you have a motor on your boat, there are cutts in that lake. lets just say bring a 6 wt.
    and you may just catch a few pickles too.