Cady

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Scott Salzer, May 28, 2002.

1. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +201 / 0
    Tough weekend at Cady. Fished on 5/25 from about 1500 - 1930. Managed to break two off, four other rises to dries. Best fly appeared to be a small tan elk hair caddis. Although a black elk hair did bring some opportunity, just can't see that darn thing in low light! Didn't see anyone with action on chronies or WB's.
    5/26 - 0730 - 1500. Managed to get (4), with a couple of other rises to dries. (1) on a bead head WB fished deep. Nothing on chronies. (3) on tan elk hair. A few caught by others, but nothing consistent.

Don't foget to put a few bucks in the donation box.
  2. espja New Member

Fished Cady today, there were a couple other guys on the lake also. Like a football game there were two halves. The first half, very, very, slow, a sporadic rise once in a while but pretty dead. I tried to go on top with emergers, then deep with mini leeches and then wind drift chironomids, one 16" fish as a result. I think one of the other fishermen caught two, but one of them looked to be about 5 pounds. Anyways, the second half. The guy who caught the 5 pounder decided to go home. Which left me and this other gentleman the lake to ourselves. I knew the only thing that me and this other guy haven't tried yet was to go deep and bottom hug with chironomids. Well he broke down first and tied on a 30 foot leader topped with an indicator. He began to hook fish almost instantly. Well of course I had to rig up also, and eventually I began to hook up. I really don't know how many fish we caught before it died down but we each caught a fish that might of pushed 10 pounds. Even though it poured, and we really had work hard for our fish, it was a very good day. Maybe that's why God gives us two halves in a game, the 2nd one gives us the chance to redeem ourselves.
  3. fly15 New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    What part of the lake where you catching your trout and how did you get your chironomids down 30 feet under an indicator? Thinking about going next weekend.

"LOVE'M AND LEAVE'M" C&R

fly15
  4. espja New Member

Heavily weighted fly (bead head or shot), 30' foot leader, and strike indicator with the slip hole secured with a tooth pick. Yea, you have to manually remove the tooth pick as you reel in of course. I normally don't use the strike indicator, but go by feel as the fly hits bottom, then I crawl it slowly towards the surface. We were catching fish about 30 to 40 yards straight out from the launch.
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Joe
  5. fly15 New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info, I will have to try that next time I am out there hopfully soon. You said you guys caught a couple around ten pounds those are huge trout do you know what kind they where.Did you guys get a measure on those fish they had to be between 28" and 32" inches to be around 10 pounds.I caught a chunky bow out of rocky ford this year at 26" inches we gestimated its weight at 7-8 pounds.
    THANKS AGAIN. :THUMBSUP

"LOVE'M AND LEAVE'M" C&R

fly15
  6. aaron j Member

La Conner, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    You might try this if you don't mind using a sinking line. Clip on your forceps to your fly and let it down to the bottom. Then pull it up by hand and remove them. You now have a precise reading of the depth, and can even slowly retrieve the chironomid, as if it were rising to the surface to hatch. This method has proven effective for me at Dry Falls and Pass Lake.
    Good Luck! --Aaron
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +201 / 0
    If you use a nail not, you can put the indicator gently over the knot (rather than using a tooth pick) after determining the leader length required. You may have to slightly enlarge the hole. When you reel in, the indicator breaks loose and slides down the line. With those big fish at Cady, not sure that I would trust myself in removing that toohpick.